What is Profanity?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

edztan15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edztan15.html
Latest Review: Sex Business Tokyo by Alta Eva Bourne

Re: What is Profanity?

Post by edztan15 »

Does "WTF" count as profanity? For all we know, it could mean "Wednesday Thursday Friday" 😂
lightoj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lightoj.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by lightoj »

edztan15 wrote: 26 Apr 2020, 00:44 Does "WTF" count as profanity? For all we know, it could mean "Wednesday Thursday Friday" 😂
I really find this funny. That's definitely you speaking tongue in cheek 😀
kljrox
Favorite Book: The Pentagon Years
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kljrox.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by kljrox »

I have been using my mom as a guide. In other words, if I'm not sure if it's a borderline word I ask myself if I would say it (and feel comfortable) in front of my mom. As far as the non-borderline words, I think if the general public considers it profanity, then I will list it as such. This may not work for you, but I have found it helpful.
viviannganyi
Favorite Book: Zeus defied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viviannganyi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by viviannganyi »

Borderline and non borderline profanity are really confusing,,,,
Zoe Luh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoe-luh.html
Latest Review: Moon Magic by Charli Elizabeth

Post by Zoe Luh »

Thank you for this thread! I'm never clear what counts as borderline profanity. I try to imagine anything that would make someone uncomfortable, but it's a very unclear category.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

unamilagra wrote: 01 Oct 2019, 21:56 My rule of thumb is that if I wouldn't say it while speaking to a class of kindergarteners, then it is at least borderline profanity. If I wouldn't say it while speaking to a class of high schoolers, it's probably non-borderline profanity.
Excellent summary here!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Samuel Windybank
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-wimbaum.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Samuel Windybank »

I usually think of profanity as something you shouldn’t say in front of your elderly grandmother.
If you think that you’d get a whack for saying it, then it’s probably non-borderline. If it’s something you’d be scolded for then it’s probably borderline. If it’s something you’d get a sideways glance for saying, then your old granny is probably just a bit sensitive and I wouldn’t worry about it.
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

Differentiating between borderline and non borderline profanity wasn't an easy task but at the end of it all I did it! And, I don't think there's a specific list of such words because there are so many.
Books are beautiful.
Tochukwu Godson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tochukwu-godson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tochukwu Godson »

This forum has provided me the answers I needed on this issue.
Lisbeth Neverland
Currently Reading: Rivers of London
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisbeth-neverland.html
Latest Review: The Evolutionite Chronicles Book One: Dagger and Shadow Ninja by Timothy Callahan

Post by Lisbeth Neverland »

I come from a Christian family everything is non-borderline profanity :( :lol2:
AlexisLib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexislib.html
Latest Review: The Girl Behind the Wall--Edgar Allan Poe, the Girl, and the Mysterious Raven Murders by Bruce Wetterau

Post by AlexisLib »

There's a big difference about this between different cultures and religions. I try to go with what I think would offend the most sensitive people, but i have missed some replacement words this way. For example, I'm not offended by the word "cheezus" (for Jesus) but my more sensitive relative is. I tend to go with the standard words that most people would define as profanity and say replacement words are borderline.

However, I have noticed that my lists of profanity and whether they are borderline or not have never been questioned in my reviews. There is a part of this decision that is your own opinion. So I think you can feel comfortable using your opinion about what is profane and what isn't.
Anngladys
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anngladys.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Post by Anngladys »

Leen282 wrote: 19 Apr 2020, 10:02 I asked myself the same question when I started to review, and as mentioned above I prefer to be cautious and tick the box for borderline profanity if I think someone might be offended even if for me it's not an issue.
I certainly agree with you. Better safe than sorry.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Do you count as a profanity a word that is written with asterisk...for example f**k in a book you are reviewing?
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Revelon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revelon.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Revelon »

Leen282 wrote: 19 Apr 2020, 10:02 I asked myself the same question when I started to review, and as mentioned above I prefer to be cautious and tick the box for borderline profanity if I think someone might be offended even if for me it's not an issue.
Yes exactly. The grade of how someone is perceiving profanity can vary. Better to choose the cautious way.
DyanaFl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanafl.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Post by DyanaFl »

I think concept of profanity is largely dependent on the culture/ upbringing of people. For example, I would not consider "what the hell" as profanity but some people might. So I believe it's subjective.
Although I would certainly consider f**k, c**t, and other racial and sexual slurs as borderline profanity.
H*ck, I think, would be non-borderline

Return to “International Grammar”