What is Profanity?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

DyanaFl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanafl.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Re: What is Profanity?

Post by DyanaFl »

DyanaFl wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 04:17 I think concept of profanity is largely dependent on the culture/ upbringing of people. For example, I would not consider "what the hell" as profanity but some people might. So I believe it's subjective.
Although I would certainly consider f**k, c**t, and other racial and sexual slurs as borderline profanity.
H*ck, I think, would be non-borderline
Sorry, H*ck would be borderline profanity while the rest would be non-borderline profanity.
Imstaci-1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imstaci-1.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Imstaci-1 »

I think profanity is very subjective. For a number of people sh*t is profane but other people use it all the time it tends to be normal to them. If a word makes me uncomfortable to say in front of my daughter then I'd rate it profanity.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

I usually use the dictionary to see if the word can be used in a pejorative way, then I see the context in which it was used, only them I decide to categorize it has profane or not.
car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by car-mbz »

I think profane words are words that are considered offensive depending on their use in a sentence.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
A Y reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-y-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by A Y reviews »

unamilagra wrote: 01 Oct 2019, 21:56 My rule of thumb is that if I wouldn't say it while speaking to a class of kindergarteners, then it is at least borderline profanity. If I wouldn't say it while speaking to a class of high schoolers, it's probably non-borderline profanity.
This definition is amazing.
Nduthu43
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nduthu43.html
Latest Review: Genex of Halcyon by Joshua Stelling

Post by Nduthu43 »

Interesting discussion here. I am still learning. While profanity may be that which is offensive, I think not every word is offensive to everyone. Depending on context, and relationship of the speakers, that which could be profane might just turn out common use. That said, let the moderators have a common stand on what to qualify as profane so that we do not have one who thinks a word is profane while the other thinks otherwise. This discussion should continue, and more words considered as profane should be listed to help reviewers accurately give review feedback in the private review feedback segment.
Melexa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melexa.html
Latest Review: Colors of Love by Adeola Oyekola

Post by Melexa »

unamilagra wrote: 01 Oct 2019, 21:56 My rule of thumb is that if I wouldn't say it while speaking to a class of kindergarteners, then it is at least borderline profanity. If I wouldn't say it while speaking to a class of high schoolers, it's probably non-borderline profanity.
I love this. I find it quite hard to distinguish borderline from non-borderline. This is helpful, I'll apply it.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

Chinwe nwankpa wrote: 22 Apr 2020, 03:47 I don't get what a borderline and non borderline profanity is
I got the same problem as you do, I even got penalised sometimes for that reason. Can someone here clarify this?
Tamika Chitwanga
Currently Reading: The Reason: How I Discovered a Life Worth Living
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamika-chitwanga.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Tamika Chitwanga »

While it is considered to be relative, there are acutely borderline obscene words that even if they are normal to you and your crew, when you're in front of your grandmother you hold off on using said words. I believe there are at least universal borderline swear words regardless of one's "relative understanding" of the words. F**k, s**t, b***h....
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

Thank you so much. This definition has really gone a long way to help me.
Etienneza
Currently Reading: The Ancestor's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etienneza.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Etienneza »

Profanity addressed, appreciated. Very helpful.
_khush_p
Favorite Book: Strong Heart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khush-p.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by _khush_p »

Nkoo wrote: 01 Oct 2019, 12:01 With respect to OBC, what exactly is profanity and which words/group of words can be classified as profanity? Can the use of these words in a review book be ignored or classified as profanity?
The follwing are the words: the f-word, holy hell, what the hell, sh*t, holy crap, etc.
I need clarifications. Apologies for using such words here. :tiphat:
I would like to add to this question: What is the difference between borderline and non-borderline profanity?
I thought I knew but an author has raised a dispute over my PRQ responses and now I just feel confused.
“See the good in everything, and the best of it will find you.”
- We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies.
_khush_p
Favorite Book: Strong Heart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khush-p.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by _khush_p »

viviannganyi wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 15:20 Borderline and non borderline profanity are really confusing,,,,
Fully agreed! I am trying to look around for any explanations but I'm still confused... :?
“See the good in everything, and the best of it will find you.”
- We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies.
Shadow010
Currently Reading: The Redesigned Earth
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadow010.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Shadow010 »

I didn't understand what profanity mean, as a peer explained that if words used in some sentence and those means some than we might neglect but last time I did and I ignored sh*t but in editor it count as profanity now I am reading a book there author use f word but like f**k not a complete word is it count as profanity or not.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Shadow010 wrote: 30 Jun 2021, 21:26 I didn't understand what profanity mean, as a peer explained that if words used in some sentence and those means some than we might neglect but last time I did and I ignored sh*t but in editor it count as profanity now I am reading a book there author use f word but like f**k not a complete word is it count as profanity or not.
If the author uses asterisks, count it as borderline profanity instead of major, non-borderline profanity. For example, "sh*t" is major profanity; "sh*t" is borderline profanity.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Return to “International Grammar”