Cheaper alternatives to grammarly

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

aesthete
Currently Reading: The Owl Killers
Bookshelf Size: 10

Cheaper alternatives to grammarly

Post by aesthete »

Sometimes reading and rectifying all your grammatical errors can be a demanding task. It is then that the use of apps like Grammarly becomes significant. But, it is a bit expensive. Do you know any cheaper alternatives to that ?
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Basically, it depends on how frequent you write reviews. If you write, say two or three reviews in a month, I won't advise you to opt for grammarly. You should use 'Prowritingaid' instead. You pay for each 100 words you write. There's an option to choose how early you want your document be checked. The earliest has the highest amount for each 100 words.
E.g
12 hours - $4/100words
24 hours - $3/"
48-72 hours - $1.5/100words
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

I don't know exactly how expensive Grammarly is, but an editor friend might be less costly. Another option would be to hire a professional editor (if you are a non-native speaker, then I would recommend an English or American native editor). The price can start from $1/100words. If you are interested, I could guide you in this direction. That would positively improve the quality of your review. Personally, I don't trust the apps' accuracy.
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

Grammarcheck.net may be of use.
Becccccca+98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becccccca-98.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Becccccca+98 »

Scribens is a good online tool that I use to catch errors, might be helpful :)
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm currently using a combination of Scribens and the free version of Grammarly, which complete each other.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Stephanie Runyon
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Juris Ex Machina by John W. Maly
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

Languagetool.org- you can use it as a spellchecker in mobile phones)
Onlinecorrection.com (100 words or less at a time)
Grammarcheck.net free check
Scribens
Paperrater
Grammarly keyboard

Natural reader to read your work back to you. Listen to it and any errors or unnatural sounding wording stands out.

Unless you pay for professional services, always double check. I found leaving my writing alone for an hour or so before proofreading helps me recognize errors that I normally would not have caught. When in doubt about a sentence, run the sentence only through one of the grammarcheckers.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

T_stone wrote: 18 Dec 2019, 10:19 Basically, it depends on how frequent you write reviews. If you write, say two or three reviews in a month, I won't advise you to opt for grammarly. You should use 'Prowritingaid' instead. You pay for each 100 words you write. There's an option to choose how early you want your document be checked. The earliest has the highest amount for each 100 words.
E.g
12 hours - $4/100words
24 hours - $3/"
Agree with you on Prowriting aid. It's a great platform for all writings.
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
MarcellaM
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by MarcellaM »

I would recommend paperrater. Used it for a while and works for me.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Grammarly is not particularly effective anymore. It often marks things as errors that are stylistic and not objective errors. Most spelling/grammar checks are good for checking spelling but not necessarily grammar. It's most important to study the parts of grammar that you are not familiar with.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

MrsCatInTheHat wrote: 19 May 2021, 07:15 Grammarly is not particularly effective anymore. It often marks things as errors that are stylistic and not objective errors. Most spelling/grammar checks are good for checking spelling but not necessarily grammar. It's most important to study the parts of grammar that you are not familiar with.
Seconded. The Grammarly extension is rubbish - it marks non-errors and does not spot real ones. Reviewers are strongly advised not to rely on it. There's a lot to be said for traditionally published grammar books.

If you can afford a subscription, the Chicago Manual of Style is excellent. If you're ESL, something like this may be helpful: https://elt.oup.com/catalogue/items/glo ... anguage=en
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

T_stone wrote: 18 Dec 2019, 10:19 Basically, it depends on how frequent you write reviews. If you write, say two or three reviews in a month, I won't advise you to opt for grammarly. You should use 'Prowritingaid' instead. You pay for each 100 words you write. There's an option to choose how early you want your document be checked. The earliest has the highest amount for each 100 words.
E.g
12 hours - $4/100words
24 hours - $3/"
I just visited ProWritingAid. Looks like their plans are cheaper now than it was when you posted this. I currently use Grammarly Premium, but I guess I'll check out ProWritingAid. Thanks.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

Mounce574 wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 15:43 Languagetool - you can use it as a spellchecker in mobile phones)
Onlinecorrection (100 words or less at a time)
Grammarcheck free check
Scribens
Paperrater
Grammarly keyboard

Natural reader to read your work back to you. Listen to it and any errors or unnatural sounding wording stands out.

Unless you pay for professional services, always double check. I found leaving my writing alone for an hour or so before proofreading helps me recognize errors that I normally would not have caught. When in doubt about a sentence, run the sentence only through one of the grammarcheckers.
This was really helpful, thank you!
Shakiru A
Currently Reading: Bloody Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Shakiru A »

I leave my work for others to proof read for error corrections in case I want to use immediately and or I leave for an hour for error check.
Aghorghor Majomi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aghorghor-majomi.html
Latest Review: Tortured in Ashram by Prem Nambiar

Post by Aghorghor Majomi »

NetMassimo wrote: 01 Jun 2020, 01:50 I'm currently using a combination of Scribens and the free version of Grammarly, which complete each other.
I will try this out because I am having troubles with grammatical errors and punctuation

Return to “International Grammar”