Are these sentences grammatically correct?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

deborahveader
Favorite Book: The Perfect Husband: An FBI Profiler Novel
Currently Reading: To Own Two Suns
Bookshelf Size: 164
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deborahveader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Are these sentences grammatically correct?

Post by deborahveader »

Here are three sentences from my last review and editor's comments on them. I have put them through three different writing and grammar aids. Except for the last one, I cannot find anything wrong with them. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1. Totally different and very original in concept. 
incomplete sentence
2. There was some romance and a few erotic scenes, but really doesn’t go into much detail. 
There was some - incorrect verb form (There 'were')
3. I have to say, I love the way this book ended. 
have to say, I love - comma splice
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

1. This is a sentence fragment. Writers everywhere are using them, but most OBC editors will not allow them.
2. I think your subject is "scenes," so you need a plural verb. The bit after the comma is a little odd too.
3. This is often okay in the outside world, but not here. I believe a colon would have been safe.

I hope this helps.
deborahveader
Favorite Book: The Perfect Husband: An FBI Profiler Novel
Currently Reading: To Own Two Suns
Bookshelf Size: 164
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deborahveader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by deborahveader »

Thanks for your input Juliet. Much appreciated.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

1. This sentence is incomplete, because it does not have a subject. (What is it that is totally different and original?)
2. The second part of this sentence ("but really doesn't go much into detail") does not have a subject and is therefore incomplete (Who or what does not go much into detail? Though you're evidently talking about the book/author, I believe that it's a good practice in English to always include the subject while writing).
3. This might be subjective, but I would have put it this way: "I have to say that[i/] I love how this book ended"

Hope this helps!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
mary-annef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-annef.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by mary-annef »

Juliet+1 wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 17:18 1. This is a sentence fragment. Writers everywhere are using them, but most OBC editors will not allow them.
2. I think your subject is "scenes," so you need a plural verb. The bit after the comma is a little odd too.
3. This is often okay in the outside world, but not here. I believe a colon would have been safe.

I hope this helps.
Your reply helped me too - thanks so much.

Return to “International Grammar”