Comma Splices - Counted or Uncounted error?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Comma Splices - Counted or Uncounted error?

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

There are comma splices in the example sentences below. According to guides I have seen, they are errors. Do we count comma splices as errors when reviewing a book, or should they be marked as "uncounted" errors?

Here is what I found from various sources online: Comma splice. A comma should not separate two separate thoughts of more than three words. Either a semi-colon should be used, or the thoughts separated into two complete sentences.

1) “She couldn’t get away, there was nothing she could do now to save herself.”

2) “She didn’t want to compel the women to fight, she wanted them to volunteer.”

3) “There were agents in Rome, our families would have suffered had we not answered the Emperor’s call.”
annadeniseneal
Favorite Book: Dying Well
Currently Reading: Stamped from the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annadeniseneal.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by annadeniseneal »

I do believe all of these are errors.
1. Either needs to be two sentences, combined with a semi colon, or with a comma + conjunction.
2. Either needs to be two sentences, combined with a semi colon, or with a comma + conjunction.
3. Simply needs to be two sentences.

I agree that these are errors.
I have another question about commas.

As a teacher, I always taught my middle schoolers that you need a comma to set off (separate) a prepositional phrase from the rest of the sentence. Sometimes, in my few reviews, I've gotten marked down for this. Example:

'In his office, the doctor could tell the patient was nervous.'

What do you think, Kelyn?

Thanks!
DN :)
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I agree that commas should be used to separate a prepositional phrase from the rest of the sentence. I would say that your example is correct, but the proofreaders sometimes seem to use a different 'playbook' than we do.

Return to “International Grammar”