Comma or not?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Comma or not?

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

The ugly rumors of new civil unrest had started up again, but they were just that rumors.

In this sentence, should there be a comma or maybe even a colon before "rumors"? None of the grammar checkers are picking it up and I use 5 different ones. It just doesn't look or sound right to me without anything, though. Does anyone know a rule for this?
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Kelyn wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 22:01 The ugly rumors of new civil unrest had started up again, but they were just that rumors.

In this sentence, should there be a comma or maybe even a colon before "rumors"? None of the grammar checkers are picking it up and I use 5 different ones. It just doesn't look or sound right to me without anything, though. Does anyone know a rule for this?
I agree that there should be something there. I would use a dash, but either a colon or a comma seems fine as well. I wouldn't know any rule to cover this example, though. You can also replace "that" with "rumors" to be on the safe side, but the sentence wouldn't be the same, I know.
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I agree with Miriam.

I'd go with a colon or a dash. The guideline below might help:
The colon can be used to emphasize a phrase or single word at the end of a sentence. An em dash can be used for the same purpose.

EXAMPLE: After three weeks of deliberation, the jury finally reached a verdict: guilty.

From https://www.thepunctuationguide.com/colon.html
© 2020 thepunctuationguide.com
I'd write your sentence as:

1) The ugly rumors of new civil unrest had started up again, but they were just that: rumors.
2) The ugly rumors of new civil unrest had started up again, but they were just that — rumors.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

inaramid wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 06:36 I agree with Miriam.

I'd go with a colon or a dash. The guideline below might help:
The colon can be used to emphasize a phrase or single word at the end of a sentence. An em dash can be used for the same purpose.

EXAMPLE: After three weeks of deliberation, the jury finally reached a verdict: guilty.

From https://www.thepunctuationguide.com/colon.html
© 2020 thepunctuationguide.com
I'd write your sentence as:

1) The ugly rumors of new civil unrest had started up again, but they were just that: rumors.
2) The ugly rumors of new civil unrest had started up again, but they were just that — rumors.
Thanks, kabayan. I'll take note of that site.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Thank you both, I think I'll go with the colon. Inaramid, thanks for the site. I've bookmarked it.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

I think there was a need to include a comma before rumors or just put the word in quotation marks.
Melexa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melexa.html
Latest Review: Colors of Love by Adeola Oyekola

Post by Melexa »

Miriam Molina wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 01:05
Kelyn wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 22:01 The ugly rumors of new civil unrest had started up again, but they were just that rumors.

I agree that there should be something there. I would use a dash, but either a colon or a comma seems fine as well. I wouldn't know any rule to cover this example, though. You can also replace "that" with "rumors" to be on the safe side, but the sentence wouldn't be the same, I know.
I agree with you. I'd use a dash.
Rabiul_tanmoy250
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rabiul_tanmoy250 »

I think this sentence will be correct :

" The ugly rumors of new civil unrest had started up again, but they were just that: rumors. "
Claire Vaal
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-vaal.html
Latest Review: So Long Earth by Michael Bienenstock

Post by Claire Vaal »

I would say something needs to go there. I agree with the people saying a colon or a dash.

Return to “International Grammar”