Would you like to share your errors?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

caina3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caina3.html
Latest Review: Pearl River Mansion by Richard Schwartz

Re: Would you like to share your errors?

Post by caina3 »

Booksmart-56 wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 03:40 I have also fallen into the trap of placing a comma even though the long tempting sentences within my review are urging me to do so :D . I believe this forum offers a platform
for sharing content, which helps reviewers create high quality reviews.

With regards to that, I saw a couple of posts with questions, but let me start with commas. Especially when incorporating co-ordinating conjunctions such as but. I have learnt that it's grammatically wrong to place a comma after it, either at the beginning of a sentence or within a sentence.

With the little research I have done :techie-studyinggray: you can apply a comma before 'but'. That is if the sentence prior to the conjunction is a complete sentence: meaning it should have a subject, verb.
Example:

Brian and Joseph are close friends, but Joseph does not trust him.

The above example is ideal. Since the sentence before the comma is a complete sentence.

However if you want your reviews to have slightly shorter sentences. You can end with the (.) , and start your sentence with but.
It is safe to start sentences with but. However, don't use it too often in your review. Final advice, whenever beginning a sentence with but, the same rule applies: don't place a comma after but.

Brain and Joseph are close friends. But, Joseph does not trust him. (Incorrect)

There is more in regards to this topic of comma use. I hope this helps.
Hi,

Thank you for posting this information. I think it will be helpful for others to reference and apply while they write the reviews. I am putting it on my personal comma rules guide for quick access.

Thanks,
A. Cain
Wayne Njoroge
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Dark Web Murders
Currently Reading: Bloody Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wayne-njoroge.html
Latest Review: Because He Loved Us by Sharon Williams

Post by Wayne Njoroge »

Welcome.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

caina3 wrote: 19 Feb 2021, 14:28 Hi All,

I am so glad I found this forum because I could really use some help understanding commas. I have always struggled with using the comma in my writing, and I have tried to get better at using them appropriately, but I still struggle. The below mistakes are from my first book review; I would prefer to improve on my understanding. Thank you to anyone who can clear up some of my mistakes.

the cosmos where Voulhire is located, Caromentis(,) known as the magic universe, and Alitheia, the spirit universe.

Q: I am not sure why the comma after Caromentis is incorrect, but the comma after Alitheia is correct?

Everything is new to him, not just his surroundings[,] but people too.
*comma misuse

Q: Why is the comma after 'but' not needed?

All the characters and their surroundings are richly described(,) helping the reader to envision the scenes easily.

Q: Why is the comma after 'described' not needed?

The author keeps the reader in suspense with plenty of encounters with Lord Meldorath and the Riva Rohavi(,) leading the reader to a climactic ending with plenty of tension to carry them to the next book.

Q: Why is the comma after 'Rohavi' not needed?

P. 1: If you are someone who likes to read about other worlds, knights and kings, magic and mages, then you are sure to enjoy reading We [are] Voulhire: A New Arrival [under] Great Skies by Matthew Tysz.

Q: What do the [] mean? Do they mean the same thing as the ()?

P. 4: Thankfully, he has a guide named [Rowan] to keep him out of trouble on their adventures.

Q: I do not know why there are [] around the word 'Rowan.' This is the name of a character in the book; I checked, and I spelled it correctly. What else could be wrong?

P. 5: All the characters and their surroundings are richly described[,] helping the reader to envision the scenes easily.

Q: Why is the comma after 'described' not necessary?

P. 8: I recommend this book to readers who enjoy the [sci-Fi & fantasy] genres.

Q: Are the brackets around sci-Fi & fantasy to show that I did not capitalize it correctly?

Thank You,
A. Cain
Wow, that's a lot of issues. I hope I can help you with my understanding (sorry I'm not a pro :D). I checked your review, and here are my explanations (the sentences below are copied from your review for clarification):

1. the cosmos where Voulhire is located, Caromentis known as the magic universe, and Alitheia, the spirit universe. -> The phrase "known as the magic universe" is used to modify the word "Caromentis." Since "Caromentis" and "known as the magic universe" don't belong to the same context, a comma should be there to separate them (like the case of "Alitheia, the spirit universe.").

2. Everything is new to him, not just his surroundings, but people too. -> The comma shouldn't be used before "but," because the last phrase (people too) is not a complete sentence. There is a topic about the usage of commas pinned in International Grammar forum, so you can check it out.

3. All the characters and their surroundings are richly described helping the reader to envision the scenes easily. -> A comma is needed after "described." The clause "helping the reader to envision the scenes easily." is used to modify its preceding clause, so a comma is required to separate the two. I think it's called a Verb-ing modifier :?: .
The same goes for the next sentence "The author keeps the reader in suspense with plenty of encounters with Lord Meldorath and the Riva Rohavi leading the reader to a climactic ending with plenty of tension to carry them to the next book." and "All the characters and their surroundings are richly described helping the reader to envision the scenes easily."

4. If you are someone who likes to read about other worlds, knights and kings, magic and mages, then you are sure to enjoy reading We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz. -> I think the [] marks are the editor's corrections. They mean [Are] and [Under] shouldn't be capitalized. The correct name of the book is We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies.
The same goes for this sentence "Thankfully, he has a guide named Rowen to keep him out of trouble on their adventures.", since the guy's correct name is Rowan.

5. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy the Sci-Fi & Fantasy genres. -> The editor also marks this my error, because the genres shouldn't be capitalized.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

_khush_p wrote: 26 Dec 2020, 04:24 This is such a helpful forum! I just got a review scored and most of my errors are commas which should've been semicolons

Editor Comments:
1. Voulhire was different than(from) other nations
2. I loved the way it was written,(;) that was what pulled me in the first time.
3. words,(;) however, it is harmless in my opinion
4. This book is not for the weak hearted(,) as it contains gory details of abuse and death.

Now I have always been using commas in my sentences but semicolon is new to me and it would be great if someone explained the difference to me!
I realize this post is old, but I thought there might be someone out there who could benefit from an answer.
A semicolon is used when two separate thoughts exist in a sentence. For instance: "I loved the way it was written (that's a complete thought); that was what pulled me in the first time. (That is a complete thought/sentence as well.) You could just as easily have separated the two thoughts into two separate sentences and avoided the semicolon altogether. Purdue Owl is a wonderful site for learning how to use punctuation of different types. I hope this helps!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
_khush_p
Favorite Book: Strong Heart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khush-p.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by _khush_p »

Kelyn wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 13:50
I realize this post is old, but I thought there might be someone out there who could benefit from an answer.
A semicolon is used when two separate thoughts exist in a sentence. For instance: "I loved the way it was written (that's a complete thought); that was what pulled me in the first time. (That is a complete thought/sentence as well.) You could just as easily have separated the two thoughts into two separate sentences and avoided the semicolon altogether. Purdue Owl is a wonderful site for learning how to use punctuation of different types. I hope this helps!
:O this is so very helpful! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my request. I actually understood the difference and reasoning! I hope this can help me correct any future errors, thank you once again!
“See the good in everything, and the best of it will find you.”
- We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies.

Return to “International Grammar”