I don't understand what my mistake was.

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Vine Michael
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

I don't understand what my mistake was.

Post by Vine Michael »

This is part of my review and I don't understand why it is an error.

I didn’t find him too fictional because I believe there are people out there who might seem flawless, but if you’ll look at his character, you’ll see that he had his flaws.

This was the editor said- This sentence incorrectly phrase the future real conditional.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

I am not an editor or moderator or anything; this is just a disclaimer before readers of this forum proceed.

Based on the sentence you provided, I believe that this section is the problem... "but if you’ll look at his character,...". I think that the editor had a problem with the "you'll", because it should be just "you".

Mind you, I did look it up on Google just to see what future real conditional meant (as I had never heard this term before). I hope that this cleared it up a little bit for you. :)
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

The problem is with the second part. It should be: "if you look at his character, you’ll see that he had his flaws."
A Y reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-y-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by A Y reviews »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 12:05 The problem is with the second part. It should be: "if you look at his character, you’ll see that he had his flaws."
Even though I am not expert, i am inclined to agree here. But that is alien to me

Return to “International Grammar”