one-word sentences

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

jdsatosk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdsatosk.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

one-word sentences

Post by jdsatosk »

I recently did a book review where the author uses one-word sentences or short sentences that look incomplete to me. I can tell that he was writing them like that for emphasis, but I still think they are incorrect grammar. I marked all of them as incomplete sentences in the Typos/Errors section of the review. I received a dispute response for this with the author saying that they are simply very short sentences and that they are part of his writing style. I have listed the errors below. I need some feedback on whether these should be considered objective errors or if I was correct in my assessment.

Errors
1. Location 73: Death. (incomplete sentence)
2. Location 73: Perfectly balanced; perfectly in control of body mind and spirit. (incomplete sentence)
3. Location 73: Dedicated to his art; Dedicated to his deity. (incomplete sentence)
4. Location 73: Restless. (incomplete sentence)
5. Location 86: The dance of death. (incomplete sentence)
6. Location 92: From somewhere. (incomplete sentence)
7. Location 98: Unmoving. (incomplete sentence)
8. Location 98: The broken knuckle swollen and twisted. (incomplete sentence)
9. Location 98: Something cold and chilling. (incomplete sentence)
10. Location 116: Of life. (incomplete sentence)
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I agree with the author. These sentences are just written in a different style. Grammar and word use change over time precisely because writers like this one try to come up with different and unusual ways of telling a story. As long as the reader can understand, it's fine.
Wayne Njoroge
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Dark Web Murders
Currently Reading: Bloody Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wayne-njoroge.html
Latest Review: Because He Loved Us by Sharon Williams

Post by Wayne Njoroge »

Authors have some leniency in writing, which helps bring out the style and dramatic flair in their books. Therefore, in doing so, it draws more appeal to readers.

Return to “International Grammar”