Apostrophes with last names

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Apostrophes with last names

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

I'm confused about where to put an apostrophe in a last name, or if it is even needed at all. For example, the sentence is "The Singh's not only were doctors, but media moguls as well." Singh's is referring to a husband and wife. Is the apostrophe placed correctly? Thanks so much for any help.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Kaylee123 wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 11:54 I'm confused about where to put an apostrophe in a last name, or if it is even needed at all. For example, the sentence is "The Singh's not only were doctors, but media moguls as well." Singh's is referring to a husband and wife. Is the apostrophe placed correctly? Thanks so much for any help.
In your example, the correct word would be "Singhs." Use "Singh's" if only one person's possession is being discussed, like in "Singh's problem is difficult." Use "Singhs' " if more than one person's possession is being referred to as in "The Singhs' problem is difficult!" Note the use of "the" for the plural subject. Note also that the apostrophe for the plural possessive may have an optional "s" (i.e., "The Singhs's problem is difficult").

I hope I didn't confuse you even more.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

No that made sense! Thanks! I was trying to figure out if there was an error in the book I'm reading.

Return to “International Grammar”