Hyphen or not?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Dorcas Ray
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcas-ray.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Hyphen or not?

Post by Dorcas Ray »

Hi,
When referring to a book, should a hypen be used in this regard; It is a well-edited book or not? Well edited being a compound adverb.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

This is a well-edited book.
but
The book is well edited.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

If you're using "well edited" as a compound verb, you have to hyphenate it. On the flip side, if it's functioning as a noun, you can use it with or without the hyphen.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 15 Feb 2021, 05:56 This is a well-edited book.
but
The book is well edited.
This is the correct rule for "well" plus a participle or adjective - the compound is hyphenated before the noun and not after.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Alice Heritage
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily

Post by Alice Heritage »

Sam Ibeh wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 16:33 If you're using "well edited" as a compound verb, you have to hyphenate it. On the flip side, if it's functioning as a noun, you can use it with or without the hyphen.
I do not understand this? "Well" is an adverb and "edited" is a participle. How could it be a verb or a noun?
Mod
Sam Ibeh
Currently Reading:

Post by Sam Ibeh »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 06 Mar 2021, 15:44
Sam Ibeh wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 16:33 If you're using "well edited" as a compound verb, you have to hyphenate it. On the flip side, if it's functioning as a noun, you can use it with or without the hyphen.
I do not understand this? "Well" is an adverb and "edited" is a participle. How could it be a verb or a noun?
"The review was well edited." Here, "well edited" is functioning as a noun (at least that's how I understand it; I'm not an English major). It helps me with the hyphenation issues.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Sam Ibeh wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 16:23
"The review was well edited." Here, "well edited" is functioning as a noun (at least that's how I understand it; I'm not an English major). It helps me with the hyphenation issues.
Ahh, I see. "Review" is the noun though - "well edited" is a compound modifier.
Mod
Sam Ibeh
Currently Reading:

Post by Sam Ibeh »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 16:32
Sam Ibeh wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 16:23

Ahh, I see. "Review" is the noun though - "well edited" is a compound modifier.
Oh! Thanks.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I was just checking up on this issue! In fact, "The book is well-edited" would also be correct – in this case, "well-edited" is being used as a compound adjective, and according to AP's style guide, a hyphen can be included for clarity. The online Cambridge dictionary also has example sentences where hyphens are used in compound adjectives that don't follow a noun. I'm not sure if we are allowed to include links, but if we can, I'd be happy to share. This rule applies for all adjectives/modifiers starting with "well-".
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

gen_g wrote: 30 Mar 2021, 10:35 I was just checking up on this issue! In fact, "The book is well-edited" would also be correct – in this case, "well-edited" is being used as a compound adjective, and according to AP's style guide, a hyphen can be included for clarity. The online Cambridge dictionary also has example sentences where hyphens are used in compound adjectives that don't follow a noun. I'm not sure if we are allowed to include links, but if we can, I'd be happy to share. This rule applies for all adjectives/modifiers starting with "well-".
Interesting! The CMOS is very definite that it should not be hyphenated if post-positive. But if other major guides say otherwise, we should not mark off for this.
Mod
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 30 Mar 2021, 12:57
gen_g wrote: 30 Mar 2021, 10:35 I was just checking up on this issue! In fact, "The book is well-edited" would also be correct – in this case, "well-edited" is being used as a compound adjective, and according to AP's style guide, a hyphen can be included for clarity. The online Cambridge dictionary also has example sentences where hyphens are used in compound adjectives that don't follow a noun. I'm not sure if we are allowed to include links, but if we can, I'd be happy to share. This rule applies for all adjectives/modifiers starting with "well-".
Interesting! The CMOS is very definite that it should not be hyphenated if post-positive. But if other major guides say otherwise, we should not mark off for this.
It's certainly intriguing. The example sentence from Cambridge's online dictionary that I was referring to is "Aeolian deposits are typically well-rounded, wellsorted and medium-sized", and there is a hyphen in "well-rounded" even though it doesn't follow a noun. I will definitely not be marking off for this during edits – we all learn something new everyday! :lol:
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 30 Mar 2021, 12:57
Correct, we can no longer can mark off for this. We'll need to get the word out.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Return to “International Grammar”