Dashes: ( - ) or long dashes; whats the difference

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Dashes: ( - ) or long dashes; whats the difference

Post by Review Writer »

I want to know may be that's a difference in the usage of short dashes (with space on either side of them) and the long dashes which don't have space on either side. I usualy see writeups that use the short one. But when i check dash usage on google, it was the long one that is explained. Urgent replies please
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

GideonWrites Review wrote: 04 Apr 2021, 11:23 I want to know may be that's a difference in the usage of short dashes (with space on either side of them) and the long dashes which don't have space on either side. I usualy see writeups that use the short one. But when i check dash usage on google, it was the long one that is explained. Urgent replies please
The long dash is an em dash. It can be used in place of parentheses and does not have a space on either side. To confuse matters more, there is an en dash too! This article explains the various dashes well.
https://getitwriteonline.com/articles/e ... em-dashes/
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks

Return to “International Grammar”