Need Professional Comma Help

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Need Professional Comma Help

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Hi,

I know there's been lots of discussion about commas—they probably will never stop :D .

I wanted the forum's opinion on commas separating independent clauses. There is an independent clause followed by a comma, conjunction, and another independent clause. Does removing the comma before the conjunction considered stylistic in grammar? I see it a lot in books but could never find any rules that allow it.

Here are a couple of examples that are disputed:

Carrie lived in a van, and her best friend visited her every day.

I picked up the red apple and the worm started to protest.

How do treat the comma placement before the conjunctions?

Thanks
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 09 Oct 2021, 10:05 Hi,

I know there's been lots of discussion about commas—they probably will never stop :D .

I wanted the forum's opinion on commas separating independent clauses. There is an independent clause followed by a comma, conjunction, and another independent clause. Does removing the comma before the conjunction considered stylistic in grammar? I see it a lot in books but could never find any rules that allow it.

Here are a couple of examples that are disputed:

Carrie lived in a van, and her best friend visited her every day.

I picked up the red apple and the worm started to protest.

How do treat the comma placement before the conjunctions?

Thanks
Hi,

Both of the examples are fine as written. Generally, use a comma before a coordinating conjunction that joins two independent clauses. However, if the clauses are closely connected and short, a comma is not needed. The issue is what constitutes "closely connected and short."

Here is Scott's post about how we handle this at OBC:
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=130072

and here is another link that has great comma info and also supports what Scott said:
https://www.thepunctuationguide.com/comma.html

Hope this helps resolve your dispute. :greetings-waveyellow:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks

Return to “International Grammar”