When to Put a Comma Before Because

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Brett Linette
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brett-linette.html
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
fav_author_id: 4642

When to Put a Comma Before Because

Post by Brett Linette »

"While I thought about deducting a star for homophobia, because nothing homophobic is blatantly stated, I'm going to give the author the benefit of the doubt and say that she's not homophobic."

In the sentence above, can I place a comma before "because," or would that be grammatically incorrect?

Looking back, I should have just written the sentence in question as follows.

"I thought about deducting a star for homophobia. Because nothing homophobic is blatantly stated, I'm going to give the author the benefit of the doubt and say that she's not homophobic."

Because I decided to reduce the first sentence to a dependant clause by opening it with a subordinating conjunction, shouldn't I finish said dependant clause off with a comma so as to differentiate it from the following dependant clause?

I think it's also worth noticing that the following dependant clause is a nonrestrictive clause, meaning that it doesn't need to be in the sentence for the rest of the sentence to make sense, and if nonrestrictive clauses that come in the middle of a sentence require a comma before and after them like I've been taught, then a comma should be placed before "because" for this reason alone.

What do you guys think? Should I have placed a comma before "because" or not?
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I think your sentence is grammatically correct as written. It's a complex sentence: one independent clause and at least one dependent clause. The sentence would make sense without the "because" clause (making it nonrestrictive), so the comma is correct. Another way of looking at it, but arriving at the same conclusion, is the "because" clause is a second dependent clause, which still would require a comma before and after it in this case. This link has more information: https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writ ... ments.html

:greetings-waveyellow:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

The string 'because nothing homophobic is blatantly stated' in the first paragraph would surely require a comma before as well as after. I perceive it as correct.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:
Samuel Mamo
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-mamo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Samuel Mamo »

It is correct, because in your context you need to connect the first independent clause with comma with the second and the third clauses. As the sentence is compound of three, if you use a fullstop instead of comma, you could loose the connection between the first clause.

Return to “International Grammar”