Could someone please explain my grammar mistake?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

AmberLiz
Currently Reading: The Freedom Building
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberliz.html
Latest Review: The Assignment by Don Chance

Could someone please explain my grammar mistake?

Post by AmberLiz »

I think my grammar mistake is a tense-related issue, but would someone mind explaining it to me? The context surrounding this sentence is all in the past tense.

"I feel it would have been more powerful separating them into two separate books and have the reader go on two unique journeys."
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

AmberLiz wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 17:42 I think my grammar mistake is a tense-related issue, but would someone mind explaining it to me? The context surrounding this sentence is all in the past tense.

"I feel it would have been more powerful separating them into two separate books and have the reader go on two unique journeys."
I can’t tell if there is an issue with tense in this case. Although it’s recommended to have the same tense throughout a paragraph when possible, your feelings are still valid now, so they don’t necessarily need to be in past tense.

Looking at this sentence alone, my only suggestion would be to change the last “have” to “having.”  This would result in two participial phrases that would be parallel. Another option to maintain parallelism would be to change “separating” to “to separate.” This would give you two infinitive phrases. 

This link has examples of infinitives and participles: https://www.mometrix.com/academy/gerund ... articiple/

I hope this helps! :greetings-wavingyellow:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

AmberLiz wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 17:42 I think my grammar mistake is a tense-related issue, but would someone mind explaining it to me? The context surrounding this sentence is all in the past tense.

Maybe the issue is with using the wrong verb form.
"I feel it would have been more powerful to separate them into two separate books and have the reader go on two unique journeys."
Helen Akoth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-akoth.html
Latest Review: A Submissive Journey-Second Semester by Richard Read

Post by Helen Akoth »

MsH2k wrote: 28 Jan 2022, 20:46

I can’t tell if there is an issue with tense in this case. Although it’s recommended to have the same tense throughout a paragraph when possible, your feelings are still valid now, so they don’t necessarily need to be in past tense.

Looking at this sentence alone, my only suggestion would be to change the last “have” to “having.”  This would result in two participial phrases that would be parallel. Another option to maintain parallelism would be to change “separating” to “to separate.” This would give you two infinitive phrases. 

I hope this helps! :greetings-wavingyellow:
I agree with your observation that AmberLiz’s feelings are valid. I, too, wouldn't consider the inconsistency of tenses in the sentence an error. The sentence makes perfect sense, and I also construct such kinds of sentenses often. Your suggestion on how the sentence can be improved is thoughtful too. I must say you have an eagle’s eye. Thanks. I have also learnt something.
Samuel Mamo
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-mamo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Samuel Mamo »

I think, you should use the present tense form of "separate" by adding "to" as; "to separate" , instead of "separating".
Favour Uwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-uwa.html
Latest Review: The Elephant Tooth of '95 by Rana Baydoun
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Favour Uwa »

i think there's one things i observed in this sentence : the phrase should have been a clause and should have been linked to the main clause with a subordinating conjuction, 'if'
So, the sentence should have read: 'I feel it would have been more powerful, if they were separated into two different book'

Return to “International Grammar”