Commas Are My Worst Enemy

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

headlessheart
Currently Reading: Mercy's Light
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-headlessheart.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Commas Are My Worst Enemy

Post by headlessheart »

Hey everyone, I've written a few reviews now and every time there have been issues with commas. A couple of the editors suggested I use Grammarly, which I did for the next review. Unfortunately, all of the changes that were made by Grammarly were marked incorrect by the editors. What suggestions does everyone have about ensuring current comma usage? Are there still disagreements regarding the use of the Oxford comma?
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Hi headlessheart,

Spell checkers (including Grammarly) should not be the only way to check for grammatical errors. While they can be helpful, grammar checkers are far from perfect. The feedback from the editors should explain why the commas were marked as errors.

The Oxford comma is not a requirement of the OBC because some writing styles leave it out, while others require it. Because the OBC does not follow one writing style, editors should not be taking away grammar points for the omission or use of the Oxford comma.

The International Grammar Forum would be a better forum to ask questions about the Oxford comma. I have provided a post from that forum below to help you get started.

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=130072

I hope this helps. If there is anything I need to clarify or answer further, do let me know. :)
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
headlessheart
Currently Reading: Mercy's Light
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-headlessheart.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by headlessheart »

Ooh this is very helpful. Thank you so much!
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

Are there otherways to check for errors apart from spell checkers?
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

fire_spice wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 04:23 Are there otherways to check for errors apart from spell checkers?
Hello!
Unfortunately, spellcheck doesn't always catch all errors, and neither does Grammarly, but I find using a combination of both helpful. You can also double check spelling by using online sites like thesauraus.com.
Charlienmegan Wehner
Currently Reading: Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlienmegan-wehner.html
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Post by Charlienmegan Wehner »

I totally agree. I’m new to reviewing and have been marked down for comma usage. I read my review several times, use Grammerly, and Scribens before submitting my reviews, but I still have comma errors or I think a word is borderline profanity but it’s apparently not. It’s so disheartening when I put several hours into reading and writing a review but my editorial scores are still low. I want to keep reviewing as I love this opportunity and website, but it’s getting hard to reconcile my time vs. my editorial scores. 😭
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King
fire_spice
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fire-spice.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fire_spice »

Cecilia_L wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 18:23
fire_spice wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 04:23 Are there otherways to check for errors apart from spell checkers?
Hello!
Unfortunately, spellcheck doesn't always catch all errors, and neither does Grammarly, but I find using a combination of both helpful. You can also double check spelling by using online sites like thesauraus.com.
Thank you!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

fire_spice wrote: 11 Jun 2022, 11:01
Cecilia_L wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 18:23
Hello!
Thank you!
You're welcome! :tiphat:
RoyHunter2000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-royhunter2000.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by RoyHunter2000 »

Firstly, I would recommend you use Quillbot Al for proofreading to make sure you are free from punctuation errors, and use Grammarly after for a deep check. 
Jackie Kook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jackie-kook.html
Latest Review: Souljourner by Paul Steven Stone

Post by Jackie Kook »

Luna Grace wrote: 11 Jun 2022, 09:46 I totally agree. I’m new to reviewing and have been marked down for comma usage. I read my review several times, use Grammerly, and Scribens before submitting my reviews, but I still have comma errors or I think a word is borderline profanity but it’s apparently not. It’s so disheartening when I put several hours into reading and writing a review but my editorial scores are still low. I want to keep reviewing as I love this opportunity and website, but it’s getting hard to reconcile my time vs. my editorial scores. 😭
I agree with you 100%. It seems that I can't get it "right", no matter how I use the commas. Unfortunately, I have not yet seen ANY explanation of why my comma use was correct or incorrect when I receive editor feedback. Honestly, I'm only 3 reviews in and I give up on it because I'm not seeing any way to get it right without feedback on what I'm doing wrong. And some of it is purely misreading what I wrote, where the editor's addition or deletion of the comma actually changed how the sentence reads. It's disheartening.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Jackie Kook wrote: 17 Jul 2022, 18:00 I agree with you 100%. It seems that I can't get it "right", no matter how I use the commas. Unfortunately, I have not yet seen ANY explanation of why my comma use was correct or incorrect when I receive editor feedback. Honestly, I'm only 3 reviews in and I give up on it because I'm not seeing any way to get it right without feedback on what I'm doing wrong. And some of it is purely misreading what I wrote, where the editor's addition or deletion of the comma actually changed how the sentence reads. It's disheartening.
I have submitted recheck requests and been successful in getting errors reversed when I felt my comma usage was correct and the editor misinterpreted what I wrote. If you can explain your usage and support it with a reputable reference link, you may get the error removed and the scorecard updated. If you don't get any feedback on what was wrong and you want another opinion (or two), feel free to ask your question in the international grammar forum. :greetings-waveyellow:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Jackie Kook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jackie-kook.html
Latest Review: Souljourner by Paul Steven Stone

Post by Jackie Kook »

Thanks! I just feel frustrated is all. I'm waiting on reviews to be published and in the meantime my score is low without explanation (when I do run the reviews through all sorts of checkers as well) and the book selection is VERY limited. I'm mainly doing this because I love to read and enjoy sharing my thoughts with others, so it's hard to be reviewed so harshly and not given an opportunity to improve. I'm sure it will get better? Punctuation intentional ;-)
Tonia Freeman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 756
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonia-freeman.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Tonia Freeman »

MsH2k wrote: 17 Jul 2022, 18:33
Jackie Kook wrote: 17 Jul 2022, 18:00 I agree with you 100%. It seems that I can't get it "right", no matter how I use the commas. Unfortunately, I have not yet seen ANY explanation of why my comma use was correct or incorrect when I receive editor feedback. Honestly, I'm only 3 reviews in and I give up on it because I'm not seeing any way to get it right without feedback on what I'm doing wrong. And some of it is purely misreading what I wrote, where the editor's addition or deletion of the comma actually changed how the sentence reads. It's disheartening.
I have submitted recheck requests and been successful in getting errors reversed when I felt my comma usage was correct and the editor misinterpreted what I wrote. If you can explain your usage and support it with a reputable reference link, you may get the error removed and the scorecard updated. If you don't get any feedback on what was wrong and you want another opinion (or two), feel free to ask your question in the international grammar forum. :greetings-waveyellow:
Aren't you only allowed so many recheck requests in your lifetime, three I think it was.
Tonia Freeman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 756
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonia-freeman.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Tonia Freeman »

Luna Grace wrote: 11 Jun 2022, 09:46 I totally agree. I’m new to reviewing and have been marked down for comma usage. I read my review several times, use Grammerly, and Scribens before submitting my reviews, but I still have comma errors or I think a word is borderline profanity but it’s apparently not. It’s so disheartening when I put several hours into reading and writing a review but my editorial scores are still low. I want to keep reviewing as I love this opportunity and website, but it’s getting hard to reconcile my time vs. my editorial scores. 😭
I agree that it is very frustrating and the time vs reward is lacking in some cases. Plus, not having the chance to respond to the errors is also frustrating. I have one reviewer dock me because I said, "The last quarter of the book saved the story". He claimed that he should have been "stories". To me, that is flat-out wrong. There is only one story, the book and it's not a book for short stories. I just don't understand how someone isn't checking them to see if they are correct. Or if we had a way to flag or comment and they could change if it made sense.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Tonia Freeman wrote: 20 Jul 2022, 10:01 I agree that it is very frustrating and the time vs reward is lacking in some cases. Plus, not having the chance to respond to the errors is also frustrating. I have one reviewer dock me because I said, "The last quarter of the book saved the story". He claimed that he should have been "stories". To me, that is flat-out wrong. There is only one story, the book and it's not a book for short stories. I just don't understand how someone isn't checking them to see if they are correct. Or if we had a way to flag or comment and they could change if it made sense.
and
Aren't you only allowed so many recheck requests in your lifetime, three I think it was.
You can respond to the errors if you think it is warranted. You are allowed only a certain number of rechecks, but you do get your recheck count back if the editor changes the scorecard in response to your recheck request. If the editor doesn’t change their scorecard, and you still think you are right, you can request an admin recheck on the scorecard. You will get the recheck back if the admin changes the scorecard.

Based on your scenario, I think you have a good case for getting the error reversed if you want to pursue it. Be sure to thoroughly explain why you think it is written correctly and provide any pertinent reference links (I can’t think of a reference link for this one, though). You don’t have the opportunity to add to your recheck request if you need to go for an admin recheck, so it is very important that the initial recheck request is thorough and complete.

BTW, I love your profile picture. Your cat's face is so...cat :cat: :D
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks

Return to “International Grammar”