Effect as a verb - is this an error?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Her Fan
Currently Reading: Power Glass
Bookshelf Size: 6

Icon Effect as a verb - is this an error?

Post by Her Fan »

Though not really a physical law, it is powerful enough to effect matter.
I have read that "effect" can be used as a verb under certain circumstances. Is this one of them or is it an error where effect needs to be replaced with affect?
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Hi there. The sentence doesn't tell enough, so it could be right or wrong depending on the context. If "effect" is used to somehow mean "bring matter into existence," then it is correct. If it is used to mean "have an effect on matter," then it is incorrect because "effect" and "affect" do not mean the same thing and cannot be used interchangeably.

I hope that helps. Also, I came across the blog post below a few days ago, and I think you'll find it helpful.
https://prowritingaid.com/effect-or-aff ... -or-affect
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”

Return to “International Grammar”