Grammar Mistakes- What did I do wrong?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

dessertqueen
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dessertqueen.html
Latest Review: We Never Knew Just What it Was ... the Story of the Chad Mitchell Trio by Mike Murphey

Grammar Mistakes- What did I do wrong?

Post by dessertqueen »

Hi all,
First, thanks for helping me out! I submitted my first review today and was pretty surprised to have these mistakes identified. Parentheses denote editor's correction. Any insight on why these are mistakes would be appreciated. All four appear to be stylistic choices and not errors to me. I'm usually rather good at this!

1)Beginning with a reunion concert (and) then jumping back to the folk music context of the 1950s and the Trio’s origins, Murphey playfully jumps through Originally "Beginning with a reunion concert then jumping back to the folk music context of the 1950s and the Trio’s origins, Murphey playfully jumps through..."

2)Murphey's subtle humor and contemporary political parallels kept me from feeling too much (like) the outsider and for the most part I felt welcomed Originally "Murphey's subtle humor and contemporary political parallels kept me from feeling too much the outsider and for the most part I felt welcomed."

3)However, younger readers will have to do their own research to really understand and appreciate some of the political context(contexts). Originally "However, younger readers will have to do their own research to really understand and appreciate some of the political context."

4)Murphey's subtle humor and contemporary political parallels kept me from feeling too much the outsider and for the most part(,) I felt welcomed into the Trio's world. Originally "Murphey's subtle humor and contemporary political parallels kept me from feeling too much the outsider and for the most part I felt welcomed into the Trio's world."
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 380
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Know Your Buyer! by D.L. Andrews
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

dessertqueen wrote: 06 Oct 2022, 14:15 Hi all,
First, thanks for helping me out! I submitted my first review today and was pretty surprised to have these mistakes identified. Parentheses denote editor's correction. Any insight on why these are mistakes would be appreciated. All four appear to be stylistic choices and not errors to me. I'm usually rather good at this!

1)Beginning with a reunion concert (and) then jumping back to the folk music context of the 1950s and the Trio’s origins, Murphey playfully jumps through Originally "Beginning with a reunion concert then jumping back to the folk music context of the 1950s and the Trio’s origins, Murphey playfully jumps through..."

2)Murphey's subtle humor and contemporary political parallels kept me from feeling too much (like) the outsider and for the most part I felt welcomed Originally "Murphey's subtle humor and contemporary political parallels kept me from feeling too much the outsider and for the most part I felt welcomed."

3)However, younger readers will have to do their own research to really understand and appreciate some of the political context(contexts). Originally "However, younger readers will have to do their own research to really understand and appreciate some of the political context."

4)Murphey's subtle humor and contemporary political parallels kept me from feeling too much the outsider and for the most part(,) I felt welcomed into the Trio's world. Originally "Murphey's subtle humor and contemporary political parallels kept me from feeling too much the outsider and for the most part I felt welcomed into the Trio's world."
None of those are objective errors, and indeed I think the editor's "correction" to No. 3 introduces an error. PLEASE ask for a recheck - include links to the dictionary definitions of the words you used.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
dessertqueen
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dessertqueen.html
Latest Review: We Never Knew Just What it Was ... the Story of the Chad Mitchell Trio by Mike Murphey

Post by dessertqueen »

Thanks for your response! I immediately asked for a recheck and the editor affirmed the score. First review, so I don’t know the culture, but I’d assume a second recheck request on the same review would be offensive. I’m happy being assured my “errors” aren’t, and just won’t have high expectations for the future.
Last edited by dessertqueen on 10 Oct 2022, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
kipper_
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kipper.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by kipper_ »

The only ones I could defend here as errors are 2 and 4.

1). The use of “and” is pretty subjective. I wouldn’t count the original as incorrect.

2). I can see where the editor had trouble with this one. The original does read kind of strangely. If you omit the words “too much,” it reads just fine; I’d go with the editor’s suggestion.

3). The change is completely unnecessary.

4). The sentence does sound a bit like a run-on without any use of commas. I wouldn’t have personally chosen to introduce the comma where they did, but I can understand why they marked this one. There are two separate ideas being expressed, and the clauses can also stand alone as their own sentences.

As suggested by ButterscotchCherrie, I would request a recheck (and an admin check, if they insist that these are all errors).
Last edited by kipper_ on 20 Oct 2022, 22:17, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “International Grammar”