Which one is correct?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Wandaquinn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wandaquinn.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Which one is correct?

Post by Wandaquinn »

I use two grammar checkers and they brought me different things. The issue lies in the quoted sentence below.
"Among his possessions is something important, which he charges Devlin with taking care of lest it falls into the wrong hands."
So one grammar checker provides "falls" and the other provided "fall" as the proper
form of the term to be used.
So my question is: should it be falls or fall.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Wandaquinn wrote: 06 Dec 2022, 01:29 I use two grammar checkers and they brought me different things. The issue lies in the quoted sentence below.
"Among his possessions is something important, which he charges Devlin with taking care of lest it falls into the wrong hands."
So one grammar checker provides "falls" and the other provided "fall" as the proper
Hi there,

The quoted sentence is correct the way it is. The correct form of the verb is "falls" because you are referring to the one important thing in his possessions (third-person singular).

All the best!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Rachel Gillig, One Dark Window
Wandaquinn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wandaquinn.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Post by Wandaquinn »

C Janet wrote: 06 Dec 2022, 08:13
Wandaquinn wrote: 06 Dec 2022, 01:29 I use two grammar checkers and they brought me different things. The issue lies in the quoted sentence below.
Hi there,

The quoted sentence is correct the way it is. The correct form of the verb is "falls" because you are referring to the one important thing in his possessions (third-person singular).

All the best!
Thank you for clarifying that.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Andrew Butchers
Currently Reading: The Long Arm of Fantomas
Bookshelf Size: 51

Post by Andrew Butchers »

Doesn't it depend on whether the writer is using the subjubctive or not ?

In the subjunctive "fall" is the third person singular (in fact fall is all parts).

"Falls" is correct if using the indictative instead of the subjunctive.
Rakesh+12345
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Rakesh+12345 »

Exactly "Falls" ís the correct.( We also not down that Third person Singular)

Return to “International Grammar”