Should I add an and, change to commas, or leave as is?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Should I add an and, change to commas, or leave as is?

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

Sophia suffered from a dissociative disorder. She displayed four unique personas: Delilah, the sex addict; Neville, the teen who detested males; Evie, the scared child.

I have debated with myself on this. Should there be an and before Evie? Did I use the semicolons correctly? Would there be a better way to write this?
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Broken Lance by William H Brown
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Stephanie_Chapman wrote: 24 Dec 2022, 06:44 Sophia suffered from a dissociative disorder. She displayed four unique personas: Delilah, the sex addict; Neville, the teen who detested males; Evie, the scared child.

I have debated with myself on this. Should there be an and before Evie? Did I use the semicolons correctly? Would there be a better way to write this?
This site supports using the conjunction.

https://wmich.edu/writing/punctuation/colon
Series—If one or more elements in a series contain a comma, use semicolons to separate them. Include a semicolon before the final conjunction. (Members of the Western Jazz Quartet are Tom Knific, bassist; Trent Kynaston, saxophonist; Steve Zegree, pianist; and Tim Froncek, drummer.)
Stephanie Runyon

diana lowery wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 12:25
Stephanie_Chapman wrote: 24 Dec 2022, 06:44 Sophia suffered from a dissociative disorder. She displayed four unique personas: Delilah, the sex addict; Neville, the teen who detested males; Evie, the scared child.

Series—If one or more elements in a series contain a comma, use semicolons to separate them. Include a semicolon before the final conjunction. (Members of the Western Jazz Quartet are Tom Knific, bassist; Trent Kynaston, saxophonist; Steve Zegree, pianist; and Tim Froncek, drummer.)

So adding and would make this grammatically correct, but otherwise, I did write it correctly?
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Broken Lance by William H Brown
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Stephanie_Chapman wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 17:51
diana lowery wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 12:25

So adding and would make this grammatically correct, but otherwise, I did write it correctly?
In my opinion, yes.
Stephanie Runyon

Thank you for the help and for the resource link.

Return to “International Grammar”