Are these sentences grammatically correct?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Nisha DSouza
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Are these sentences grammatically correct?

Post by Nisha DSouza »

1) We have all been there, trying to find a book with values, knowledge, wisdom, and of course, a great moral.

2) The author is trying to demonstrate to young impressionable minds that it is ok to think differently and how the parent needs to support a child’s innocence.

3) It teaches them to be inclusive of all family members irrespective of age or gender.

4) This book also shows how a parent can be the binding glue in the family’s harmony and togetherness.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I've moved this to the right forum.

Thanks,

Alice (Official Reviewer Representative)
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Nisha DSouza wrote: 15 Feb 2023, 11:51 1) We have all been there, trying to find a book with values, knowledge, wisdom, and of course, a great moral.

2) The author is trying to demonstrate to young impressionable minds that it is ok to think differently and how the parent needs to support a child’s innocence.

3) It teaches them to be inclusive of all family members irrespective of age or gender.

4) This book also shows how a parent can be the binding glue in the family’s harmony and togetherness.
Hi,

Were there particular questions you had about these sentences? Here are my thoughts on the first two.

#1 It may seem like a lot of commas, but for clarity, I would recommend a comma before the interrupter “of course.”
https://www.grammarly.com/blog/comma-with-interrupters

#2 It seems that “young” and “impressionable” are coordinate adjectives. If so, consider adding a comma between them.
https://prowritingaid.com/coordinate-adjectives

Also, it is a bit unclear if the author is demonstrating both things (that it is ok to think differently and how the parent needs to support a child’s innocence) to young impressionable minds. This Purdue Owl link has great examples of parallelism that may give you ideas for rewording this sentence if necessary:
https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writ ... cture.html
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Nisha DSouza
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha DSouza »

I asked this because I got marked down on these sentences in my review and was given 0 out of 40 for these errors. I wanted to understand if these were really that big errors. Thank you for the explanation. 😊🙏
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Nisha DSouza wrote: 15 Feb 2023, 21:32 I asked this because I got marked down on these sentences in my review and was given 0 out of 40 for these errors. I wanted to understand if these were really that big errors. Thank you for the explanation. 😊🙏
Oh, I see. And you're very welcome.

I didn’t notice anything amiss in #4.
I am assuming #3 was highlighted because of a missing comma before “irrespective.” If so, that is a tough one. There are several confusing sources regarding how to punctuate a prepositional phrase at the end of a sentence. Basically, it comes down to the writer’s intent. I don’t think a comma is required in this case, and this link also supports not having a comma:
https://linguaholic.com/linguablog/comm ... egardless/

All the best on your next scorecard. :handgestures-thumbupright:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Nisha DSouza
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Wow, this was a really informative site. I never thought there was so much to commas 😀. I'm learning a lot from you guys.

Sorry for the delayed response. I was a little low the last couple of days because I was banned for plagiarism incorrectly. I wasn't sure if I was allowed to post things here. But I was reinstated today after an appeal, thanks to an admin recheck. ☺

Thanks again for the links you have posted. I will use them for my future reviews. 🙏

Return to “International Grammar”