Italics

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Italics

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

I used the name of a t.v. show in my review. I am unsure if this needs to be in italics since it is a title of a show.
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

Stephanie Cameron wrote: 24 Feb 2023, 10:55 I used the name of a t.v. show in my review. I am unsure if this needs to be in italics since it is a title of a show.
I would just write the name of the TV show in capital letters, instead. I only use italics when I mention other book titles, or book series, and I have never been penalised for that.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Stephanie Cameron wrote: 24 Feb 2023, 10:55 I used the name of a t.v. show in my review. I am unsure if this needs to be in italics since it is a title of a show.
Hi,

Thank you for reaching out. Since this is a grammatical question, I have moved this to a more appropriate forum. In the future, please post all grammar-related questions in this forum. Thanks!
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Although OBC does not follow a particular style guide, if it is a TV series, I recommend italicizing it. If it is an episode, use quotes. This link explains it well and gives examples. When there is a conflict between style guides, I use CMOS, but as long as you can support your usage with any style guide, you are fine.

https://grammarhow.com/are-tv-shows-italicized/
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Jackelyn Olayon Elgario
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jackelyn-olayon-elgario.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Jackelyn Olayon Elgario »

This is such a helpful question. The answer help me as well.

Return to “International Grammar”