Discussing the plural in the use of the words "wizard sorts" and "wizards"

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Jess Pumkin
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jess-pumkin.html
Latest Review: Memoirs of a Management Consultant by Franco Guazzoni

Discussing the plural in the use of the words "wizard sorts" and "wizards"

Post by Jess Pumkin »

Hi there.

I'd like to discuss the use of the plural "wizard sorts" versus "wizards".
If entities who control magic are not restricted to wizards, i.e. there are "mages", "wizards", "biomages", and "imbuers", I believe the use of the words "wizard sorts", doesn't fully explain but allows the idea that there is not just one but many magical types. "Wizards" would be an oversimplification if used, even if correct as a plural in use. 

What are your thoughts on this?
Jess Pumkin
:techie-studyinggray: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference: :techie-studyinggray: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:
Melissa Best
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: Love and Marriage
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-best.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Martin Wyatt

Post by Melissa Best »

I think this might need a bit more clarification, with the phrase used in a full sentence.

In "wizard sorts" are you using sorts as a noun? If so, then it would be implying a variety of wizards which is ok.
If you're still worried about the phrase you could always rephrase it, using something like "all types of wizards"

Hope that helps!
Jess Pumkin
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jess-pumkin.html
Latest Review: Memoirs of a Management Consultant by Franco Guazzoni

Post by Jess Pumkin »

Hi @Melissa Best - Yes, I think it would be "wizards sorts" as a noun. That does help, thank you!
Jess Pumkin
:techie-studyinggray: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference: :techie-studyinggray: :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:

Return to “International Grammar”