Is this an error, should I list it

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Positive Thinker Book Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-positive-thinker-book-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Is this an error, should I list it

Post by Positive Thinker Book Reviewer »

"Two other on-duty soldiers, Cookie and Fisher, hear the
commotion and wander over to investigate."

I feel the word "wander over" is wrong. Wouldn't "come over" be a better option?
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Positive Thinker Book Reviewer wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 07:47 "Two other on-duty soldiers, Cookie and Fisher, hear the
commotion and wander over to investigate."

I feel the word "wander over" is wrong. Wouldn't "come over" be a better option?
Hi,
A definition of “wander” in the Cambridge dictionary is “to walk around slowly in a relaxed way.”
I would consider the usage in this sentence to be neither a counted nor an uncounted error. Stylistic differences we may have are not listed as errors. The author appears to be using “wander” to describe the calm and unhurried manner in which the soldiers came over.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks

Return to “International Grammar”