Please help with these grammar issues.

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Unfair Banned
Currently Reading: Let it Be
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-youssef-joul.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Please help with these grammar issues.

Post by Unfair Banned »

:tiphat: First of all, thanks for stopping by:

- My Trip to Adele is one of the novels that, (error: “the” should be replaced with “those”).

- On the other side, in America, you will be caught between two doctors trying to find out why their love has grown cold, after eight years of engagement. (error: comma before “after” should be removed).

- as well as stubbornness and fighting with her reactionary, tyrannical ex-husband; a fight using their only young son, Waleed, as a battlefield. (error: semicolon should be a hyphen).

- Each of the characters in the novel will individually share with you the purpose of his trip to Adele. (error: “his tip” should be replaced with “their trip”).
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Unfairly banned wrote: 08 Apr 2023, 06:40 :tiphat: First of all, thanks for stopping by:

-#1 My Trip to Adele is one of the novels that, (error: “the” should be replaced with “those”).

-#2 On the other side, in America, you will be caught between two doctors trying to find out why their love has grown cold, after eight years of engagement. (error: comma before “after” should be removed).

-#3 as well as stubbornness and fighting with her reactionary, tyrannical ex-husband; a fight using their only young son, Waleed, as a battlefield. (error: semicolon should be a hyphen).

-#4 Each of the characters in the novel will individually share with you the purpose of his trip to Adele. (error: “his tip” should be replaced with “their trip”).
Hi,

#1 I think this is a stylistic difference, not an objective error. “Those” is a demonstrative adjective that tells the reader “which one.” It implies a subset of all novels from which you would choose My Trip to Adele. Using “those” makes it clearer, but the definite article “the” is grammatically acceptable. I could not find a site that compares using “those” vs “the,” but this reference has a helpful explanation of demonstrative adjectives:
https://www.bkacontent.com/gs-demonstra ... djectives/

#2 A comma is not needed before a prepositional phrase at the end of a sentence unless the information is nonessential, in extreme contrast, or required for clarity. These three scenarios can sometimes be hard to justify in a recheck request. In your example, a comma is not needed.
This link has excellent examples of when (and when not) to use a comma with prepositional phrases:
https://www.pristineword.com/comma-adve ... al-phrase/

#3 In general, semicolons are used to join two independent clauses without using a conjunction. In this example, the content after the semicolon is a sentence fragment. A comma or hyphen could be used based on the part of the sentence you referenced. In a long sentence, a hyphen is preferable because it would reduce the complexity of having too many commas. Do you read your reviews aloud as part of your editing process? I read my review aloud and use a tool such as Natural Reader to read it to me. Both are helpful in different ways. If I get tired or distracted reading a sentence, that usually means it’s too long or complex and I need to shorten it or break it into multiple sentences. Here is a link on semicolons: https://www.thepunctuationguide.com/semicolon.html

#4 I don’t think using “his” is an objective error in this sentence. Using the masculine “he” to represent both sexes is less common now, but I would consider it a subjective issue and not an objective error. Since English doesn’t have a gender-neutral third-person pronoun, the trend is to use forms of the third-person plural “they” in singular situations:
https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writ ... _they.html

I hope these explanations and links are helpful.

P.S. I also hope your situation is corrected soon. Looking forward to your next screen name. :greetings-waveyellow:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks

Return to “International Grammar”