Comma after though at the beginning of a sentence

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Nisha DSouza
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Comma after though at the beginning of a sentence

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Hi,

Please help me understand if the following sentence has an error.

Though, it may not appeal much to the older, more mature audience.

I understand it may sound incomplete when you look at it as a standalone sentence. However, I believe it makes sense with the preceding sentence in my review. I have mentioned it below:

Likewise, anyone with an exceptionally imaginative mind would surely enjoy this book. Though, it may not appeal much to the older, more mature audience.

My second question is: Can an editor take away 9 points in the subjective section if they disagree with the errors listed in the PRQ? I have listed more than 10 errors, and the editor hasn't mentioned which was the one in question.

Kindly help. 🙏
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Nisha DSouza wrote: 14 Apr 2023, 11:41 Hi,

Please help me understand if the following sentence has an error.

Though, it may not appeal much to the older, more mature audience.

I understand it may sound incomplete when you look at it as a standalone sentence. However, I believe it makes sense with the preceding sentence in my review. I have mentioned it below:

Likewise, anyone with an exceptionally imaginative mind would surely enjoy this book. Though, it may not appeal much to the older, more mature audience.

My second question is: Can an editor take away 9 points in the subjective section if they disagree with the errors listed in the PRQ? I have listed more than 10 errors, and the editor hasn't mentioned which was the one in question.

Kindly help. 🙏
Hi Nisha,

Thank you for including the prior sentence for context. Your usage of “though” is fine. The reference below supports using “though” as an adverb meaning “however,” and since it appears that is how you are using it, a comma is appropriate.

Regarding your second question, subjective ratings are difficult to contest, but if you are going to submit a recheck request for the first issue, it would be a good opportunity to ask for clarification on this point.

And now, my recheck spiel: You are allowed only a certain number of rechecks, but you do get your recheck count back if the editor changes the scorecard in response to your recheck request. If the editor doesn’t change their scorecard, and you still think you are right, you can request an admin recheck on the scorecard. You will get the recheck back if the admin changes the scorecard.

Be sure to thoroughly explain why you think it is written correctly and provide reference links when appropriate. You don’t have the opportunity to add to your recheck request if you decide to go for an admin recheck, so it is very important that the initial recheck request is thorough and complete.
:D

https://grammarist.com/usage/although-though/
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Nisha DSouza

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. 😊🙏

I am better equipped with this clarification. However, the editor marked this error, stating that it was a segment fragment. I don't believe that is true because the sentence in question contains a subject, a verb, and a complete thought. Correct me if I am wrong.
Nisha

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Nisha DSouza wrote: 14 Apr 2023, 22:01 Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. 😊🙏

I am better equipped with this clarification. However, the editor marked this error, stating that it was a segment fragment. I don't believe that is true because the sentence in question contains a subject, a verb, and a complete thought. Correct me if I am wrong.
You are correct.

Since you are using “though” as an adverb meaning “however,” what follows the introductory adverb is an independent clause, a complete thought. And including the comma reinforces this usage.

If you omitted the comma, “though” would be used as a conjunction and would mean “even though” or “although.” In this case, it would be introducing a dependent clause, and the sentence would be a sentence fragment. A main clause would be needed to make the sentence complete. Here is an example of adding a main clause in this situation:
Though it may not appeal much to the older, more mature audience, it has an engaging storyline.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Nisha DSouza

Post by Nisha DSouza »

MsH2k wrote: 15 Apr 2023, 19:19
Nisha DSouza wrote: 14 Apr 2023, 22:01 Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. 😊🙏

You are correct.

Since you are using “though” as an adverb meaning “however,” what follows the introductory adverb is an independent clause, a complete thought. And including the comma reinforces this usage.

If you omitted the comma, “though” would be used as a conjunction and would mean “even though” or “although.” In this case, it would be introducing a dependent clause, and the sentence would be a sentence fragment. A main clause would be needed to make the sentence complete. Here is an example of adding a main clause in this situation:
Though it may not appeal much to the older, more mature audience, it has an engaging storyline.
Thank you so much for your detailed response. This is very helpful. 😊🙏
Nisha

Return to “International Grammar”