Are there errors in these sentences?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Christine Johanna Miszuk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-miszuk.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Are there errors in these sentences?

Post by Christine Johanna Miszuk »

Hey guys, just wondering if im correct in thinking there's errors in the book I'm reviewing.

First, I have some floating periods.
The author does not start each chapter on a new page, rather he just inserts the chapter number between paragraphs. In two instances now but not before every chapter there's a floating period.
Here's an example

Thinking it was Beth Ann again, he picked it up from his nightstand. It was an unknown number.

When the police car pulled up  outside   the station,

Am I correct to assume that the period should not be there and if so, how do I list that as an error when submitting my review.

My second error I'm unsure of is this

The man puckered his lips and tilted his tattooed skull toward Omar. “Who you calling a punk?'

Shouldn't the sentence be finished with a " instead of '

Thanks for your help!
Christine Miszuk
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Christine Miszuk wrote: 25 Apr 2023, 19:44 Hey guys, just wondering if im correct in thinking there's errors in the book I'm reviewing.

First, I have some floating periods.
The author does not start each chapter on a new page, rather he just inserts the chapter number between paragraphs. In two instances now but not before every chapter there's a floating period.
Here's an example

Thinking it was Beth Ann again, he picked it up from his nightstand. It was an unknown number.

When the police car pulled up  outside   the station,

Am I correct to assume that the period should not be there and if so, how do I list that as an error when submitting my review.

My second error I'm unsure of is this

The man puckered his lips and tilted his tattooed skull toward Omar. “Who you calling a punk?'

Shouldn't the sentence be finished with a " instead of '

Thanks for your help!
Hi,
#1 I don't think the floating periods are a countable error. Countable errors are grammatical errors, not usually formatting errors. It would be ok to mention the inconsistent floating periods under uncounted errors and give examples of a few occurrences.

#2 I would consider the inconsistent use of quotation marks in the sentence a grammatical error—using either beginning and ending single quotes or beginning and ending double quotes is required.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks

Return to “International Grammar”