Please can someone tell me if these are actually grammar mistakes as I believe they are not, but are preference.

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Lauren Gallagher 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-gallagher-2.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Please can someone tell me if these are actually grammar mistakes as I believe they are not, but are preference.

Post by Lauren Gallagher 2 »

Hi,
Please could someone tell me whether the below corrections (in brackets) are grammar mistakes or if these corrections are subjective:

The courage of the author and the protagonist is humbling(,) and I’m in awe of them both.

Under the guidance of Dr Brad Sternberg, Max navigates the world of experimental treatments, highlighting to readers the importance of doctors, researchers, big pharma, investors(,) and worldwide governments in working together to find a cure. This book has a good reading pace and (a) natural progression.

The only reason I docked one star from the review was that I noticed several typos during (a) close reading of the book and also because there is a fair amount of profanity that could have been omitted – but that is just my taste.

I would definitely recommend this as a good read(,)(unnecessary comma) and a quick read – this is something you could finish during a long-haul flight or over a (the)(wrong word choice) weekend.

Thank you in advance,

Lauren - New Member
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Lauren Gallagher 2 wrote: 04 May 2023, 15:33 Hi,
Please could someone tell me whether the below corrections (in brackets) are grammar mistakes or if these corrections are subjective:
Hi Lauren,

I apologize that this is so long, but since you are a new member, I hope you will find it useful.

For clarity, I will restate what I believe to be highlighted as the error.

#1 The courage of the author and the protagonist is humbling(,) and I’m in awe of them both.

If the error was a missing comma, your sentence was correct as written. OBC does not follow one particular style guide, so a sentence with or without the comma would be considered acceptable.
Here is Scott’s guidance in the following link: “Because there is subjectivity in what qualifies as ‘very short’, I recommend never mark the omission of this particular comma (one before a coordinating conjunction connecting two independent clauses) as an objective error, even if the sentences seem long. What is short, medium, or long can be subjective.” viewtopic.php?f=72&t=130072
This link also references the flexibility of this rule depending on the style guide referenced:
https://www.grammarbook.com/blog/commas ... junctions/

#2 Under the guidance of Dr Brad Sternberg, Max navigates the world of experimental treatments, highlighting to readers the importance of doctors, researchers, big pharma, investors(,) and worldwide governments in working together to find a cure. This book has a good reading pace and (a) natural progression.

If the first error was a missing comma, your sentence was correct as written. Again, OBC does not follow a particular style guide, so the Oxford comma is not required. Here is a link that discusses the Oxford comma.
https://www.grammarly.com/blog/what-is- ... -about-it/

If the second error was a missing article “a,” your sentence was not in error as written. “Progression” can be a countable or uncountable noun: https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries. ... rogression

In this case, it appears to be uncountable, so the article would not be needed. This statement is from the following Purdue OWL link: “Uncountable nouns never take the indefinite article (a or an), but they do take singular verbs. ‘The’ is sometimes used with uncountable nouns in the same way it is used with plural countable nouns, that is, to refer to a specific object, group, or idea.”
https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writ ... tives.html

#3 The only reason I docked one star from the review was that I noticed several typos during (a) close reading of the book and also because there is a fair amount of profanity that could have been omitted – but that is just my taste.

If the error was a missing article “a,” your sentence was technically not in error as written. “Reading” is another example of a noun that can be uncountable depending on the sentence. https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/di ... sh/reading

Ultimately, I think this is a style preference. It may be harder to dispute in an editor recheck, but consider including it if you have other items in the recheck request.

#4 I would definitely recommend this as a good read(,)(unnecessary comma) and a quick read – this is something you could finish during a long-haul flight or over a (the)(wrong word choice) weekend.

For the first error, when I read this sentence, I see the phrase “and a quick read” as an aside, a nonessential element. This usage would justify including the comma before “and.” Nuanced intentions such as this one are hard to dispute in a recheck request, but this link supports using a comma before a nonessential element: https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writ ... ments.html

For the second error, your sentence is fine as written. The noun “weekend” can take a definite or indefinite article. In this case, using “a” adds symmetry and refers to any weekend, just as you are referring to any flight.
There is an example in this dictionary reference that uses the article “a,” so you have solid grounds for a recheck request: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/weekend

From these examples, it seems you have a nuanced writing style. I get it. I often debate with my grammar-checking tools around punctuation, but sometimes, I give in to avoid having to go through a recheck request to fight for what I intended. When usage is flagged in a grammar checker, even if it is a “suggestion,” I revisit the grammar rules to support what I have written in case I need to request a recheck.

And now, my standard recheck advice: You are allowed only a certain number of rechecks, but you do get your recheck count back if the editor changes the scorecard in response to your recheck request. If the editor doesn’t change their scorecard, and you still think you are right, you can request an admin recheck on the scorecard. You will get the recheck back if the admin changes the scorecard.

Be sure to thoroughly explain why you think it is written correctly and provide reference links when appropriate. You don’t have the opportunity to add to your recheck request if you decide to go for an admin recheck, so it is very important that the initial recheck request is thorough and complete.

All the best, and welcome! :greetings-waveyellow:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks

Return to “International Grammar”