As an editor, I respectfully HATE commas

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Kelsey Roy
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: Not What Meets the Eye by Matrika Hay

As an editor, I respectfully HATE commas

Post by Kelsey Roy »

I try really hard to be fair and consistent when editing reviews. The one thing I always get caught up on is comma usage. What I would like to know: is comma usage entirely subjective? Meaning, is marking any comma usage as an error is unfair? Are there only certain comma rules that are objective? If I am not 100% sure of a grammar rule, I try to look it up and have proof before marking anything as incorrect. Yet, I still find myself with discrepancies and recheck requests for my "subjective and opinion-based" editing. I always try to err on the side of no error when questioned, but I'm discouraged!

I know this is probably not possible, but I wish there was a hard and fast guide for comma/punctuation errors. In the mean time, I will continue to research and cry! (JK :lol2: )
Pamela Lindenau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pamela-lindenau.html
Latest Review: Beyond Despair by Shirley Hoisington

Post by Pamela Lindenau »

Thank you for sharing your opinion on commas. When reading a book, I find many unnecessary commas and unsure if I should add my findings to the error forms. As a reader I do prefer commas then the over use of and or nor, or that sentence that goes on and on an on and on. :D
Leslie Kunde
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: All Souls Trilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leslie-kunde.html
Latest Review: The Fantastical Keys of Darius Newton Archibank by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Leslie Kunde »

I am ready to throw books at times. Commas are a pain. I have alway written using commas where I want a reader to pause. This had me in honors english for all 4 years of collage.Now well.... I can't even write a review without messing the commas up.I guess this is what happens when you stop writing for over 20 years.
Alida Spies
Currently Reading: Circle Of Pearls
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alida-spies.html
Latest Review: The Time Cave - Spanish Main by Trevor Anderson
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 57%

Post by Alida Spies »

Reviewers are encouraged to ignore commas when reviewing books. Why can't the same guideline apply to editors? Unless a comma changes the meaning or its absence makes it difficult to understand the meaning of the sentence, ignore it. I know we strive for excellence and want this forum to portray our professionalism, but two different editors will hold totally different views on commas. As a reviewer, one can't win. If one makes one editor happy the other one identifies it as an error. It only serves to make reviewers despondent.

Return to “International Grammar”