Grammar Check Recommendations

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Grammar Check Recommendations

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

Is there a specific grammar checker we are supposed to be using? I use Grammarly and OWL at Purdue for my reviews, but I keep getting point deductions for grammar. I type in the original sentence in my review and the editor's corrections and in Grammarly they are both correct.

I also proofread at least four times before I submit my reviews and I am still being docked. I also use some of Scott's posts in this forum.

Any suggestions will be a great help!

Thank you!
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Meghan Soderholm wrote: 09 May 2023, 11:33 Is there a specific grammar checker we are supposed to be using? I use Grammarly and OWL at Purdue for my reviews, but I keep getting point deductions for grammar. I type in the original sentence in my review and the editor's corrections and in Grammarly they are both correct.

I also proofread at least four times before I submit my reviews and I am still being docked. I also use some of Scott's posts in this forum.

Thank you!
Hi Meghan,

OBC does not use a particular style guide, so if you can support your usage with a reputable source, you may have grounds to request a recheck. I use four grammar checkers, Natural Reader, read it aloud, and let it sit for a day somewhere in the process before I consider my review ready to submit. This topic in the review team support forum has great tips too:
viewtopic.php?f=132&t=49381

If you feel strongly that you were marked in error incorrectly, consider submitting a recheck request. I decide whether to submit a recheck request based on the technical scale of how much my right eye twitches when I get the scorecard. :lol2:

Also remember that you are allowed only a certain number of rechecks, but you do get your recheck count back if the editor changes the scorecard in response to your recheck request. If the editor doesn’t change their scorecard, and you still think you are right, you can request an admin recheck on the scorecard. You will get the recheck back if the admin changes the scorecard. If the admin does not change the scorecard, you will not only have lost an editor recheck but an admin recheck as well.
Be sure to thoroughly explain why you think it is written correctly and provide reference links when appropriate. You don’t have the opportunity to add to your recheck request if you decide to go for an admin recheck, so it is very important that the initial recheck request is thorough and complete.

All the best! :greetings-waveyellow:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

MsH2k wrote: 09 May 2023, 13:57
Meghan Soderholm wrote: 09 May 2023, 11:33 Is there a specific grammar checker we are supposed to be using? I use Grammarly and OWL at Purdue for my reviews, but I keep getting point deductions for grammar. I type in the original sentence in my review and the editor's corrections and in Grammarly they are both correct.

Thank you!
Hi Meghan,

OBC does not use a particular style guide, so if you can support your usage with a reputable source, you may have grounds to request a recheck. I use four grammar checkers, Natural Reader, read it aloud, and let it sit for a day somewhere in the process before I consider my review ready to submit. This topic in the review team support forum has great tips too:
viewtopic.php?f=132&t=49381

If you feel strongly that you were marked in error incorrectly, consider submitting a recheck request. I decide whether to submit a recheck request based on the technical scale of how much my right eye twitches when I get the scorecard. :lol2:

Also remember that you are allowed only a certain number of rechecks, but you do get your recheck count back if the editor changes the scorecard in response to your recheck request. If the editor doesn’t change their scorecard, and you still think you are right, you can request an admin recheck on the scorecard. You will get the recheck back if the admin changes the scorecard. If the admin does not change the scorecard, you will not only have lost an editor recheck but an admin recheck as well.
Be sure to thoroughly explain why you think it is written correctly and provide reference links when appropriate. You don’t have the opportunity to add to your recheck request if you decide to go for an admin recheck, so it is very important that the initial recheck request is thorough and complete.

All the best! :greetings-waveyellow:
Oh, and BTW, the grammar checkers I use are Grammarly, ProwritingAid, scribens, and quillbot. There are others, but I feel I get a good representation using these four. I weigh the suggestions of some tools more heavily than others and reserve the right not to change my review if I think I am accurately reflecting what I want to communicate and can back it up with a reputable source.
Rosa Parks
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

Thank you so much for the suggestions, and recommendations MsH2k! I got an 100% on my latest review. This tips were a great help! I have not tried Prowritingaid, but I tried Scribens, Grammarly, Quillbot, and Natural Reader, and they were great.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Meghan Soderholm wrote: 18 May 2023, 07:28 Thank you so much for the suggestions, and recommendations MsH2k! I got an 100% on my latest review. This tips were a great help! I have not tried Prowritingaid, but I tried Scribens, Grammarly, Quillbot, and Natural Reader, and they were great.
That is great news! You are very welcome.
Keep up the good work! :handgestures-thumbupright:
Rosa Parks

Return to “International Grammar”