Grammar Questions

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Jaime Frampton
Currently Reading: The Creative ACT
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-frampton.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Grammar Questions

Post by Jaime Frampton »

Please help with the following. They were considered grammar mistakes, but I disagree.

"But how important is finding a niche to(in) your business?"

How important something is " to your business:" is grammatically correct. How important something is "in your business" is also correct, but I think it sounds more awkward.

"the decision to “niche up” begins by exploring the things I am already interested in, (and) what I am passionate about."

I was going for a conversartional tone. With the comma, the word "and" is not neccesary, and to omit it certainly isn't grammatically incorrect.
AlexBenson88
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AlexBenson88 »

The correct phrase is "finding a niche for your business."

The preposition "for" is used to indicate the purpose or goal of finding a niche, which is to benefit or suit your business. It shows that the niche is intended to be used in relation to the business.

So the sentence should be: "But how important is finding a niche for your business?"
Jaime Frampton
Currently Reading: The Creative ACT
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-frampton.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Jaime Frampton »

Alex, thanks for your reply.
Actually, "your" was originally italicized in my text. Here is the context:

"we think of those social media bloggers and YouTubers trying to find their “thing” and make it different enough to stand out in a sea of influencers and content creators. But how important is finding a niche to your business?"

In this case, "to" specifies a personal connection to the reader's business as opposed to the businesses of "social media bloggers and YouTubers".

(Having reconsidered this, I no longer think that "in" is correct.)
BabycakesLoss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by BabycakesLoss »

I am a former social media blogger and a professional small channel youtuber. I happen to disagree with this especially after the act that took place in you apartment just a week prior to this, where you violently attacked you other half with a knife for explaining a test message you took out of context. how are you able to analyze anything other then yourself. Check out this YouTube video explaining that situation. Its in the second verse where finding a niche for your business in this song. https://youtu.be/zNpfFFjSEy8
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

Hi, this is my view:
In this context, the correct preposition is "to." The sentence would be: "But how important is finding a niche to your business?"
The use of "to" in this context indicates the relationship or relevance of finding a niche to your business. It suggests that finding a niche has an impact on or is significant for your business.
Using "in" in this context wouldn't convey the intended meaning as effectively. "In" typically denotes a location or a specific point within a space, while "to" is more appropriate when expressing a connection, relevance, or impact, as in the importance of finding a niche to your business.

I agree with you; the word 'and' is not necessary in that sentence.
Hope this helps.
Rakesh+12345
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Rakesh+12345 »

Nicely Answered.

Return to “International Grammar”