It is no longer a grammar error to fail to put book titles in italic font

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Icon It is no longer a grammar error to fail to put book titles in italic font

Post by Scott »

Per official website policy, it will no longer be considered a "grammar error" to fail to put a book title in italics.

Grammar rules are descriptive, not prescriptive, and times have changed.

In the internet age, it is often not even possible to make text italic when commenting or posting on certain websites or using certain email clients or messenger apps.

It has become common to distinguish book titles with quotation marks or asterisks, or to just write them in plain text with no extra punctuation at all.

When scoring a review for our Review Team, editors are optionally allowed to take up to 1 subjective point off in the subjective score (which translates into 3 points off the total score) for reviews that do not use any formatting or punctuation at all to distinguish title.

To illustrate with an example, all of the following be considered grammatically correct:

I love the book Animal Farm by George Orwell.

I love the book "Animal Farm" by George Orwell.

I love the book *Animal Farm* by George Orwell.

I love the book Animal Farm by George Orwell.

All of the above variations would be considered grammatically correct.

However, in the last of the four examples above, a Review Team Editor is optionally allowed to take off 1 small little point in the subjective score when scoring a review, with the reasonable point that the review would arguably look much better and be easier to read with one of the other options, especially the first.

If you have any questions or comments about this, or anything at all at any time, please do contact us. We are always eager for suggestions to make OnlineBookClub even better, and we are always happy to help in any way we can. :)
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

Return to “International Grammar”