Are these actual errors?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Cyndi Morley-Perez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndi-morley-perez.html
Latest Review: Precision by d.c. scott

Are these actual errors?

Post by Cyndi Morley-Perez »

Unfortunately I don't think any of these are errors except short lived. Can anyone advise me?
1) In my actual review, I did italicize the title but it's not showing here.
2)begins with retired investigator” should be “begins with a retired investigator”. This is wrong because I use his name after it. It is not an investigator. It is a specific investigator.

** the rest are just comma errors that are supposed to be stylistic.

Editor Comments:
Precision by D.C. Scott. begins with retired investigator, Jay Macgruder, reopening a cold case that piques his interest due to the fact that he knows the victim.

“Precision by D.C. Scott.” should be “Precision by D.C. Scott”

“begins with retired investigator” should be “begins with a retired investigator”

What could fall in the romance category if written differently, becomes just a flat retelling of a life story by an acquaintance.

“romance category if written” should be “romance category, if written”

But on the other hand, it was in no way my idea of a murder mystery, as the mystery only came at the end and was very short lived.

“short lived” should be “short-lived”
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Bob and Bobbie and Other Short Stories by Derek Richard Fairey
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Cyndi Morley-Perez wrote: 29 Aug 2023, 11:35 Unfortunately I don't think any of these are errors except short lived. Can anyone advise me?
1) In my actual review, I did italicize the title but it's not showing here.
2)begins with retired investigator” should be “begins with a retired investigator”. This is wrong because I use his name after it. It is not an investigator. It is a specific investigator.

** the rest are just comma errors that are supposed to be stylistic.

Editor Comments:
Precision by D.C. Scott. begins with retired investigator, Jay Macgruder, reopening a cold case that piques his interest due to the fact that he knows the victim.

“Precision by D.C. Scott.” should be “Precision by D.C. Scott”

“begins with retired investigator” should be “begins with a retired investigator”

What could fall in the romance category if written differently, becomes just a flat retelling of a life story by an acquaintance.

“romance category if written” should be “romance category, if written”

But on the other hand, it was in no way my idea of a murder mystery, as the mystery only came at the end and was very short lived.

“short lived” should be “short-lived”

RE: This sentence - The editor is correct.

The subject in the sentence is the noun clause at the beginning (What could fall in the romance category).
The verb is becomes.
You cannot separate the subject from the verb with a comma.
You can set off the phrase (if written differently) with the two commas, or you could eliminate the commas altogether, but the original sentence is incorrect with just the one comma.
It is not stylistic. It is a basic grammar rule.
Cyndi Morley-Perez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndi-morley-perez.html
Latest Review: Precision by d.c. scott

Post by Cyndi Morley-Perez »

Ok, I agree with that one. I just find it very difficult to decide whether or not to use comas here, because in other reviews I've been told not to. If I wrote with all the comas I've been taught to use in school, the editor takes them out. Thank you for your help. What do you think about the other errors?
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Bob and Bobbie and Other Short Stories by Derek Richard Fairey
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Cyndi Morley-Perez wrote: 29 Aug 2023, 12:13 Ok, I agree with that one. I just find it very difficult to decide whether or not to use comas here, because in other reviews I've been told not to. If I wrote with all the comas I've been taught to use in school, the editor takes them out. Thank you for your help. What do you think about the other errors?
RE: This Sentence :

Obviously, the period after Scott is an objective error.

The commas you placed around the appositive show that it is nonrestrictive, meaning that the phrase could be removed from the sentence and the sentence would still be correct. In that sense, the article is needed.
If you had written the sentence like this, . . .begins with Jay Macgruder, retired investigator, reopening. . .
then the sentence would be correct without an article.
If you had considered the appositive to be restrictive and used no commas, then the sentence would be correct without an article.
Here is a link about appositives:
https://www.scribbr.com/nouns-and-prono ... .%E2%80%9D
I hope I have not confused you even more.

Return to “International Grammar”