True grammar issue?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Adrienne Jean
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrienne-jean.html
Latest Review: The Greatest Game Ever Played...Maybe by Otto L. Wheeler

True grammar issue?

Post by Adrienne Jean »

In my review of The Greatest Game Ever Played......Maybe I wrote "I have been a football fan all my life and KNOW the game,"

The word "know" in this is sentence is in all caps because I am trying to emphasize the point that I truly understand the game.

Is there a better way to convey this point?
Joanna Perry
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joanna-perry.html
Latest Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Post by Joanna Perry »

What is it the makes you "know" the game? Maybe you could state you have expert knowledge of the rules the refs are following and using to make decisions. Maybe you have coached young people at football and can state you taught them the rules. If you are going to write you know something, then you should back it up with an example. Using all caps is sure to be an error.
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

Capitalizing "KNOW" in your writing highlights your strong understanding and knowledge of the game. When I read it, this impression was immediately conveyed to me.
Personally, I find this choice appealing and see it as a stylistic preference rather than a grammatical mistake.
Gabrielle Norconk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-norconk.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Gabrielle Norconk »

I don't think they allow any uppercase words for emphasis because I would guess that they don't view it as professional. Ive done the same thing and gotten docked for it. I would agree with the other responder, try to emphasize what makes you more knowledgeable then the general public.
Terry Kimble
Currently Reading: Web of Evil
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terry-kimble.html
Latest Review: "Dumb" Orphans by Allan Low

Post by Terry Kimble »

Some feel that using all uppercase letters indicates SHOUTING the word. When I want to emphasize a word I italicize it and have not been docked, yet. :D
Rakesh+12345
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Rakesh+12345 »

Kindly see it as a stylistic preference rather than a grammatical error.

Return to “International Grammar”