Using Grammarly

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Eveliina
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 656

Using Grammarly

Post by Eveliina »

Does someone have experiences using Grammarly for checking the spelling and grammar? I used it on my review, and received feedback from an editor that went against what Grammarly had said. One of the examples is on the usage of a comma before "but", in the sentence "I would recommend learning the advice in this book but not the book itself." Grammarly instructed me to remove the comma and the editor marked it as a mistake.
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

I have used Grammarly for almost a year now, and it is pretty reliable, but you cannot just rely on the app. After I run it through that, I also run it through Scribbens, and then an app with an A.I. generated person read it out loud to me. Then, I read it out loud to myself several times. There are still times when the editor still disagrees with everything and counts things as errors. The last review I submitted got a meager score, as the editor said I had four errors. Did I? I doubt it. Not after all of that, but you have to decide whether it is worth fighting over. You only get a certain amount of editor rechecks that you get. I have done over 40 reviews, and it gets exhausting to question everyone.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Soe Moe Win
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Soe Moe Win »

I would recommend learning the advice in this book but not the book itself.
I think the sentence is correct.
Dammyc Maiyo
Currently Reading: Mistress Suffragette
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Dammyc Maiyo »

Grammarly is more reliable when working on school assignments than on reviews. Plus the plagiarism section does not work at all.
Obianuju Chris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obianuju-chris.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Obianuju Chris »

Grammarly is pretty reliable, but it still has lapses. It's getting pretty hard for me to rely on because my work still turns up with minuscule errors. It can be frustrating.
Tobi Adefila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobi-adefila.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Tobi Adefila »

Grammarly is amazing but one can't always rely on it. It can be annoying at times.
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

Eveliina wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 14:11 Does someone have experiences using Grammarly for checking the spelling and grammar? I used it on my review, and received feedback from an editor that went against what Grammarly had said. One of the examples is on the usage of a comma before "but", in the sentence "I would recommend learning the advice in this book but not the book itself." Grammarly instructed me to remove the comma and the editor marked it as a mistake.
Grammarly's suggestions are based on predefined rules and patterns, but they are not infallible. However, in the case of the sentence 'I would recommend learning the advice in this book but not the book itself,' both including and omitting the comma before 'but' are grammatically correct. I would have omitted it too.
Ultimately, the decision to include or omit the comma may depend on the specific context, your preferred writing style, or any particular style guide you are following.

Return to “International Grammar”