Do well to understand...

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Do well to understand...

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

I was a bit confused after one of my reviews was scored three times. The third editor left this comment: "I found another error in the review. Do well to understand."
What does it mean? I am not offended, but isn't it a bit impolite?
I'm just curious to hear what others think. Thank you!
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

Three editors? I have never had or heard of three editors looking over one review. I believe that it is a waste of an editor's time. Anyway, I am unsure what the third editor meant by "Do well to understand." You can report the editor, and a moderator will step in and let you know what the editor meant and if it was rude. If they are found to be rude, they will be given a warning.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Claudia Angelucci
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Thank you, Shirley.
Yes, there were three editors and one administrator whom I asked to review the score! The administrator gave me points back. The first two editors were really nice and polite, but the third one, with that comment, I thought was a bit odd. I don't understand the comment. I can't say it's rude, but it just feels offish. Perhaps I'm just making a mountain out of a molehill!
Claudia Angelucci
Currently Reading:

Okay, I'm back! I double-checked, and it seems I made a mistake. There are actually two editors, and there's a third comment from an editor, but could this possibly be the first editor leaving another comment? Then, there's also a comment from the administrator. So, does this mean there are two editors providing three scorecards? I'm new to the system, and I am a bit confused!
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

No, that doesn't seem right. An editor, as far as I know, and I've been an editor, can only score a review with a single scorecard and not two. The editors can make comments but can't go back and add another scorecard. The administration can step in and give their opinions and adjust the score, but they don't add another scorecard either. This is a very unusual situation.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Claudia Angelucci
Currently Reading:

Ah, okay, thank you. Maybe I haven't explained it properly. If I can attach a screenshot here, I can show you. I believe there are two editor's scorecards, followed by a third comment from another editor adjusting the score, and then the administrator making another adjustment to the score. So, there are a total of four scores... Sorry if it's a bit confusing!
Soe Moe Win
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Soe Moe Win »

"Do well" is an idiom. It means:
1. to be wise or use good judgement: to do what one should do
You would do well to avoid him right now.
You did well to avoid him when he was in a bad mood.
2. to be lucky
When to tornado hit, they did well to escape uninjured.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/do%20well

Therefore, it is not a bit impolite, I think.

"Do well to understand" means "Be wise to understand" or "Use good judgement to understand" or "Be lucky to understand".

Actually, I don't know the exact meaning that the speaker wants.
I hope you understand.
Have a good time.
Claudia Angelucci
Currently Reading:

Thank you for pointing that out.
You're correct; it isn't impolite. I hadn't come across that expression before, and it did sound a bit like a command, but I now understand it's more of a suggestion than an order.
Thank you again!
Ihotu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ihotu »

It seems like the comment is pointing out another error in your review and suggests that you should strive to understand it better. While the tone might come off as a bit direct, it's not necessarily impolite. It could be a straightforward request for improvement. If you're uncertain, you could consider seeking clarification from the editor for specific feedback.
Claudia Angelucci
Currently Reading:

Thank you. You're right. It's not impolite, just sounded a bit off to me. I haven't heard that saying before, so it caught me by surprise. Well, I'm glad I learned that!
Thanks again!
Rakesh+12345
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Rakesh+12345 »

Knowledgeable.

Return to “International Grammar”