Given a Low Editor Score Because I Didn't Like a Book

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Kirsten Wheeler
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsten-wheeler.html
Latest Review: The Great Migration by Steve Ramirez

Given a Low Editor Score Because I Didn't Like a Book

Post by Kirsten Wheeler »

Hi, I just received a scorecard on my first review.

I was marked down on grammar - my only error was that I did not use commas after "and"

But what I am curious about is that the editor gave me a low score because "Also, I do not think the rating for the book is justified."
This is very concerning - I thought the whole point was to review books honestly even if you did not like the book. Reviews are subjective, and while many people loved this book and gave it five stars, I did not and rated it appropriately. I also gave an adequate explanation as to why I rated it so low.

The rating, by the way, was 2 out of 5 stars.

If this is how reviews will be scored, what is the point of providing a review that is anything less than 4 or 5 stars?
Jamillah Rajie
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Jamillah Rajie »

Hey 👋
I just experienced the same. The guidelines say that we are allowed to give the books low ratings, but we have to state why, which is what I did. I got a low score. Really not happy.
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

Kirsten Wheeler wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 09:39 Hi, I just received a scorecard on my first review.

I was marked down on grammar - my only error was that I did not use commas after "and"

But what I am curious about is that the editor gave me a low score because "Also, I do not think the rating for the book is justified."
This is very concerning - I thought the whole point was to review books honestly even if you did not like the book. Reviews are subjective, and while many people loved this book and gave it five stars, I did not and rated it appropriately. I also gave an adequate explanation as to why I rated it so low.

The rating, by the way, was 2 out of 5 stars.

If this is how reviews will be scored, what is the point of providing a review that is anything less than 4 or 5 stars?
Hi! They probably didn't mark you down because you disliked the book or gave it a low score. That's the essence of a review—providing an honest assessment. Occasionally, editors may feel that book ratings lack strong justification. I've encountered this situation myself, thinking I had strongly justified my rating and having editors say I didn't! It's a bit frustrating. However, you can always request reconsideration if you believe they are mistaken. Good luck with everything! 😊

Return to “International Grammar”