Spaces after semi-colon in a sentence

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Leonie Vermaak
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 609
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie-vermaak.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Spaces after semi-colon in a sentence

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

Hi there.

We have to add two (2) spaces after a full stop in our reviews. I just want to know how many spaces we must use when we use a semi-colon in a sentence, please. I was taught that it should be 1 space, but I'm not sure what the guidelines at OBC are with regards to this.

Thanks in advance.
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

Being a secretary for over 25 years and having several years of training, we were taught that you use two spaces after a period and one space after a semi-colon. However, nowadays, the rule seems to be one space after a sentence and one space after a semi-colon or colon. This seems wrong to me. When I run my reviews through an app such as Grammarly or Scribbens, they always flag my sentences because I still use two spaces after each sentence. I ignore them and put it through my way, the right way, as I was taught. I have never had any editor taken away any points for this. I have not notice anything in the guidelines to specify this, so, until then, I will keep doing what I have been doing.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"

Return to “International Grammar”