What is the correct title for this book?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Drue Tibbits
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drue-tibbits.html
Latest Review: Mimsy by Don Blossom

What is the correct title for this book?

Post by Drue Tibbits »

You would think that it is the title as is listed on this site but apparently not, as I learned with my first review. It was for The Travels of Ibn Thomas. OBC had it listed as The Travels of ibn Thomas, so that's what I used. I lost 10 points for doing that; the editor marked me down for "wrong form" and said it should be Ibn, not ibn. Oh, well, water under the bridge and all that. But now I'm coming across the problem again: I'm reviewing a book that OBC has listed as Mimsy. On Amazon, it's listed as MIMSY: Cum Laude, and when describing the book the author himself calls it MIMSY Cum Laude. So which version is correct? Which do I use in my review? How do I let the editor know why I use a specific version, if it's different than how it's listed in OBC?
Latest Review: Mimsy by Don Blossom
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Bob and Bobbie and Other Short Stories by Derek Richard Fairey
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I have never had a problem using the title the way it appears on the title page of the book. If an editor marks you down, you can ask for a recheck, explain your reasoning, and your points will be restored. I would not suggest mentioning it in your review or trying to let the editor know. The Cum Laude is the subtitle and OBC often leaves those off when listing books.
Here is a comment on the subject:
viewtopic.php?f=132&t=309571&p=2224253& ... s#p2224253
"Yes, the editor mentioned that you cannot rely on OBC's email or history page. The admin who rechecked agreed with the editor and said we needed to look at the book cover or Amazon page to get the correct title."

Return to “International Grammar”