Are Brief Summaries Required in Reviews?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Ceildric
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceildric.html
Latest Review: Nimue: Freeing Merlin (Barnes & Noble Edition) by Ayn Cates Sullivan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 200
2024 Goal Completion: 3%

Are Brief Summaries Required in Reviews?

Post by Ceildric »

As the topic says, I want to clarify, are brief summaries required in reviews?

I was dinged points for not having a brief summary, but I can find no such requirement reflected on the Guidelines page. Frankly, I find them an often clunky device that leaves many reviews sounding quite formulaic. They also do not help the reader, in my opinion. If you're considering a book, you will have seen the author / publisher's blurb on the sale page or back of the book (if you so choose).

Ultimately though, are they required or not?
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

I'll have to look through the guidelines to find it, but yes, a brief summary without any spoilers should be included in your review. However, if you write a too long summary, they will sometimes gig you for that also. As a rule, your book review should be most of the length. Example of this is: Did you like the book, what did you like, what didn't you like and why. Who do you recommend will benefit from reading this book, was it well-edited or were there numerous errors, and of course, the rating that you give the book.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Alissa Nesson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Alissa Nesson »

I was also unable to find that in the guidelines but they certainly require it here. When I first started reviewing for OBC I had the same issue.
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis wrote: 03 Feb 2024, 10:05 I'll have to look through the guidelines to find it, but yes, a brief summary without any spoilers should be included in your review. However, if you write a too long summary, they will sometimes gig you for that also. As a rule, your book review should be most of the length. Example of this is: Did you like the book, what did you like, what didn't you like and why. Who do you recommend will benefit from reading this book, was it well-edited or were there numerous errors, and of course, the rating that you give the book.
This is a great explanation—simple and clear. I read the guidelines when I first started here, but I didn't understand many points. Your explanation is straightforward and could be very helpful to many.

Return to “International Grammar”