Comma errors in books

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Alissa Nesson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Comma errors in books

Post by Alissa Nesson »

What’s the deal with comma errors when reviewing a book? If you think it’s not merely a matter of style but an objective mistake, can you list it as an error? The book I’m reading has a lot of run-on sentences without commas and I’m sure that’s an actual mistake. I don’t want to get in trouble for listing them though. Thanks!
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

It is better to list the errors, even if they are missing commas, than not to list them. I have never had an editor mention that I had too many errors listed. However, I have been told that I have an "Invalid PRQ" for missing some errors and my review was not published. If it is just a missing comma, then you can state so at the bottom of your list of errors. I say that these are "uncounted errors." If they are run-on sentences, then I list them as regular errors and type the correction underneath the run-on sentence. I hope that this makes sense.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"
Alissa Nesson
Currently Reading:

Post by Alissa Nesson »

That does help. Thank you! I didn’t wanna get in trouble for it! This book just has a lot of those problems
- Once On This Island
Tobi Adefila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobi-adefila.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Tobi Adefila »

I feel it will be better if you list the errors. No one is above mistake you know
Alissa Nesson
Currently Reading:

Post by Alissa Nesson »

That’s definitely true, but there is a note about most comma errors being subjective above the question about errors so I’m just trying to make sure I don’t list a bunch of stuff that they tell me is a subjective, stylistic choice. This book is full of errors. It’s very distracting.
- Once On This Island

Return to “International Grammar”