Is this a grammatical error?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Pallavaraj Padayachi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pallavaraj-padayachi.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Icon Is this a grammatical error?

Post by Pallavaraj Padayachi »

I wanted to check if the sentences are right?
1. I get bored while reading the economic section in a newspaper. - Do I need to replace the 'in a newspaper' with 'of a newspaper'.
I believe both are correct in their own context.

2. but he has a credits section at the end of many of his chapters, along with a chapter dedicated to his recommendation of books from other authors. - Is it 'recommendation of books' or 'recommendations of books'.

Thank you in advance for the time and help.
Becky BEHRENS
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In DeLorean's Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becky-behrens.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 200
2024 Goal Completion: 2%

Post by Becky BEHRENS »

I think "in" is fine.
It would be "recommendation of books" if it is one recommendation listing several books. It would be "recommendations of books" if it is several separate recommendations (a separate one for each book).
Becky BEHRENS

Post by Becky BEHRENS »

I've been trying to use various grammar checkers, and I've been dismayed at the results. So I decided to test several of the free ones to find which ones are best. I am sharing my results with you; I hope it helps.
I used the following sentence to test them:

Im righting, these sentence with alot of mis-takes so I can; discover witch grammer-checkers work right and witch ones dont so, I will no witch one is best, to use when I right re-views and when I make notes of errors in books that I read?

AI Writer:

I am writing these sentences with a lot of mistakes so I can discover which grammar checkers work correctly and which ones don't. This way, I will know which one is best to use when I write reviews and make notes of errors in books that I read.

Scribens:

mis-takes
grammer-checkers
dont

Zoho:

alot
mis-takes
grammer-checkers

Proofreader Grammar Checker:

Im
sentence
alot
mis-takes
witch
grammer-checkers
witch
don't
no

Grammerly:

I'm writing these sentences with a lot of mistakes so I can discover which grammar checkers work right and which ones don't. I will know which one is best to use when I write reviews and when I make notes of errors in books that I read.
Explanation

'righting' should be 'writing.' 2.
'alot' should be 'a lot.' 3.
'witch' should be 'which.' 4.
'grammer-checkers' should be 'grammar checkers.' 5.
'work right' should be 'work correctly.' 6.
'witch' should be 'which.' 7.
'no' should be 'know.'

Grammar.com:

Im
alot
mis-takes
so
witch
grammer-checkers
witch
dont
no

Linguix:

Im
righting,
sentence
alot
mis-takes so
dont
no

Language Tool:

Im
alot
mis-takes
so
witch
grammer-checkers
witch
dont
no

Duplichecker:

No errors found.

Editpad:

Im
alot
mis-takes
so
witch
grammer-checkers
witch
don't
no

EasyBib:

I am correcting these sentences which have many errors. so I can; discover witch grammer-checkers work right and witch ones dont so, I will no witch one is best, to use when I right re-views and when I make notes of errors in books that I read?
so - so,
witch - which
(7 more I would have to pay for the upgrade to see)

Trinka:

alot
dont

wordcount:

I am writing these sentences with a lot of mistakes so I can discover which grammar checkers work correctly and which ones don't. This way, I will know which one is best to use when I write reviews and when I make notes of errors in books that I read.

Rewrite:

I'm writing this sentence with a lot of mistakes so I can discover which grammar checkers work right and which ones don't. This way, I will know which one is best to use when I write reviews and when I make notes of errors in books that I read.

Fixy:

I'm writing these sentences with a lot of mistakes so I can discover which grammar checkers work right and which ones don't. So, I will know which one is best to use when I write reviews and when I make notes of errors in books that I read.

Errors:
1. "righting" should be "writing"
2. "alot" should be "a lot"
3. "witch" should be "which"
4. "grammer-checkers" should be "grammar checkers"
5. "no" should be "know"
6. "right" should be "write"
7. "re-views" should be "reviews"

QuillBot:

Im righting these sentences with a lot of mistakes, so I can discover which grammar checkers work right and which ones don't. I will no longer know which one is best to use when I right-review and when I make notes of errors in books that I read.

GrammarCheck:

I'm sentences with a lot of mis-takes, so I can discover which grammar-checkers work right and which ones don't. I will. witch one is best, to use when I which re-views and when I make notes of errors in books that I read?

ProWritingAid: (These were marked as possible errors.)

Im
alot
grammer
dont
right

Scribbr:

Im righting these sentences with a lot of mistakes, so I can discover which grammar checkers work right and which ones don't. I will no longer know which one is best to use when I right-review and when I make notes of errors in books that I read.

Reverso:

I'm righting these sentences with a lot of mistakes, so I can discover which grammar checkers work right and which ones don't. I will no longer know which one is best to use when I right-review and when I make notes of errors in
books that I read.

Ginger:
I'm righting, these sentences with a lot of mis-takes so I can; discover witch grammar-checkers work right and which ones don't so, I will no witch one is best, to use when I write re-views and when I make notes of errors in books that I read?
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Bob and Bobbie and Other Short Stories by Derek Richard Fairey
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Becky BEHRENS wrote: 19 Apr 2024, 16:05 I've been trying to use various grammar checkers, and I've been dismayed at the results. So I decided to test several of the free ones to find which ones are best. I am sharing my results with you; I hope it helps.
I used the following sentence to test them:

Im righting, these sentence with alot of mis-takes so I can; discover witch grammer-checkers work right and witch ones dont so, I will no witch one is best, to use when I right re-views and when I make notes of errors in books that I read?

AI Writer:

I am writing these sentences with a lot of mistakes so I can discover which grammar checkers work correctly and which ones don't. This way, I will know which one is best to use when I write reviews and make notes of errors in books that I read.

Scribens:

mis-takes
grammer-checkers
dont

Zoho:

alot
mis-takes
grammer-checkers

Proofreader Grammar Checker:

Im
sentence
alot
mis-takes
witch
grammer-checkers
witch
don't
no

Grammerly:

I'm writing these sentences with a lot of mistakes so I can discover which grammar checkers work right and which ones don't. I will know which one is best to use when I write reviews and when I make notes of errors in books that I read.
Explanation

'righting' should be 'writing.' 2.
'alot' should be 'a lot.' 3.
'witch' should be 'which.' 4.
'grammer-checkers' should be 'grammar checkers.' 5.
'work right' should be 'work correctly.' 6.
'witch' should be 'which.' 7.
'no' should be 'know.'

Grammar.com:

Im
alot
mis-takes
so
witch
grammer-checkers
witch
dont
no

Linguix:

Im
righting,
sentence
alot
mis-takes so
dont
no

Language Tool:

Im
alot
mis-takes
so
witch
grammer-checkers
witch
dont
no

Duplichecker:

No errors found.

Editpad:

Im
alot
mis-takes
so
witch
grammer-checkers
witch
don't
no

EasyBib:

I am correcting these sentences which have many errors. so I can; discover witch grammer-checkers work right and witch ones dont so, I will no witch one is best, to use when I right re-views and when I make notes of errors in books that I read?
so - so,
witch - which
(7 more I would have to pay for the upgrade to see)

Trinka:

alot
dont

wordcount:

I am writing these sentences with a lot of mistakes so I can discover which grammar checkers work correctly and which ones don't. This way, I will know which one is best to use when I write reviews and when I make notes of errors in books that I read.

Rewrite:

I'm writing this sentence with a lot of mistakes so I can discover which grammar checkers work right and which ones don't. This way, I will know which one is best to use when I write reviews and when I make notes of errors in books that I read.

Fixy:

I'm writing these sentences with a lot of mistakes so I can discover which grammar checkers work right and which ones don't. So, I will know which one is best to use when I write reviews and when I make notes of errors in books that I read.

Errors:
1. "righting" should be "writing"
2. "alot" should be "a lot"
3. "witch" should be "which"
4. "grammer-checkers" should be "grammar checkers"
5. "no" should be "know"
6. "right" should be "write"
7. "re-views" should be "reviews"

QuillBot:

GrammarCheck:

I'm sentences with a lot of mis-takes, so I can discover which grammar-checkers work right and which ones don't. I will. witch one is best, to use when I which re-views and when I make notes of errors in books that I read?

ProWritingAid: (These were marked as possible errors.)

Im
alot
grammer
dont
right

Scribbr:

Reverso:

I'm righting these sentences with a lot of mistakes, so I can discover which grammar checkers work right and which ones don't. I will no longer know which one is best to use when I right-review and when I make notes of errors in
books that I read.

Ginger:
I'm righting, these sentences with a lot of mis-takes so I can; discover witch grammar-checkers work right and which ones don't so, I will no witch one is best, to use when I write re-views and when I make notes of errors in books that I read?
Whoa! Such a variety of answers! Impressive Research!
Becky BEHRENS

Post by Becky BEHRENS »

Thank you. It's a bit scary.
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

Oh yes! Diana is right; that's impressive research. Well done, Becky! And thank you!

Return to “International Grammar”