Question on capitalization

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Alissa Nesson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Question on capitalization

Post by Alissa Nesson »

I’m currently writing a review for a book where a boy named Cachi is sometimes normal-sized and sometimes tiny. I’ve been differentiating by calling him “tiny Cachi” sometimes. I’m torn on whether I should be capitalizing both Tiny and Cachi (Tiny Cachi”) or whether I should just leave “tiny” with a small “t” (tiny Cachi). AI says both are technically grammatically correct but it’s standard to capitalize descriptive words as part of a name for emphasis, but I’m afraid the editor won’t agree. How standard is this? What would you do? Thanks!
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island
Alissa Nesson
Currently Reading:

Post by Alissa Nesson »

Anyone?
- Once On This Island
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Bob and Bobbie and Other Short Stories by Derek Richard Fairey
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Alissa Nesson wrote: 05 Mar 2024, 19:57 I’m currently writing a review for a book where a boy named Cachi is sometimes normal-sized and sometimes tiny. I’ve been differentiating by calling him “tiny Cachi” sometimes. I’m torn on whether I should be capitalizing both Tiny and Cachi (Tiny Cachi”) or whether I should just leave “tiny” with a small “t” (tiny Cachi). AI says both are technically grammatically correct but it’s standard to capitalize descriptive words as part of a name for emphasis, but I’m afraid the editor won’t agree. How standard is this? What would you do? Thanks!
I think as long as you are consistent, it should be correct either way. I would probably find a different way to refer to him if I was worried about a possible grammar deduction.
Alissa Nesson
Currently Reading:

Post by Alissa Nesson »

Thank you! I was wondering what others would do. I ended up turning in the review with a lower case “t” and it was totally fine. I thought it would’ve added a little humor to capitalize it, but I was afraid of being marked down if I got too creative.
- Once On This Island

Return to “International Grammar”