Unnecessary Commas.

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Emmanuel Asamoah 5
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-asamoah-5.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 248825
2024 Reading Goal: 300
2024 Goal Completion: 46%

Unnecessary Commas.

Post by Emmanuel Asamoah 5 »

After proofreading my review with about 4 different applications and finding no grammar issues, I scored 100%, only to wake up and receive four or more errors from a different editor. The amazing thing is the new editor scored four or more errors by indicating unnecessary commas. I have always refused to complain about editors' score cards, telling myself tomorrow is just another day. But to receive a low score only after another editor has fully scored me is very disheartening. Was the first editor not diligent with their review, or does the new editor use special cutting-edge software never seen before? Why should different editors contradict each other? There are other books yet to be given an editor score card, but an editor would still rate an already scored card and point out nonexistent grammatical errors.
“There is beauty in our unity no matter how harsh that war is, and no matter the result or winner. There is beauty even in losing if we do it together."
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Alissa Nesson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Alissa Nesson »

I don’t know why people sometimes get multiple score cards but I would encourage you to politely push back on the comma errors because a lot of those are stylistic choices rather than errors. If you can explain that you believe these are stylistic choices rather than errors and that none of these things were picked up on any of your grammar checkers, they may change their minds. It’s happened to me before.
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island

Return to “International Grammar”