What if a "mistake" is just a difference of opinion?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Hilary Cooke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hilary-cooke.html
Latest Review: The Mother of Honey by Ana Maria Luisa

What if a "mistake" is just a difference of opinion?

Post by Hilary Cooke »

I've just received an Editor Scorecard on a review I have written.

In this, the editor has marked me down on a grammar "mistake" because I have written

".... I would be interested to read some of the others."

The editor has suggested that this should be written

"....I would be interested in reading some of the others.
", and marked it as two mistakes.

As far as I am aware, either is acceptable.
Whilst the editor may prefer their version, should I really be marked down when my version is still good English?
Ceildric
Currently Reading: Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceildric.html
Latest Review: Nimue: Freeing Merlin (Barnes & Noble Edition) by Ayn Cates Sullivan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 200
2024 Goal Completion: 3%

Post by Ceildric »

This kind of pedantic nitpicking is typical of this site. You absolutely should not be marked down for this, but will you? Yes, you will, so long as this site is staffed like this.

The system here rewards basic, repetitive sentence structure and rigid adherence to a style guide that is buried somewhere (if at all available).
Alissa Nesson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: Silent Voices by Marilyn Thompson

Post by Alissa Nesson »

Yes, that’s typical, but you know what I discovered? If you politely tell them why you believe it’s a stylistic preference and that none of your grammar checkers flagged it as a mistake and ask them to please recheck that decision, they will usually rethink it and give you back your points. Just be polite and kind, stay calm, and state your case. If they rule in your favor, one of your opportunities to ask for a recheck will not be taken away. I suggest giving it a try.
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: The Red Movement by Shadan Kapri

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

Hilary Cooke wrote: 09 Apr 2024, 10:17 I've just received an Editor Scorecard on a review I have written.

In this, the editor has marked me down on a grammar "mistake" because I have written

".... I would be interested to read some of the others."

The editor has suggested that this should be written

"....I would be interested in reading some of the others.
", and marked it as two mistakes.

As far as I am aware, either is acceptable.
Whilst the editor may prefer their version, should I really be marked down when my version is still good English?
You are absolutely right, and you should not be marked down. Both sentences are grammatically correct and mean the same. The choice between 'to read' and 'in reading' is a matter of personal preference. As Alissa said, you can appeal the decision and ask for your points back. I appealed many times, probably 90% of my reviews! And most of the time, I had my points returned by the editor. If they didn't adjust the score, I appealed to the administrator; most of the time, they ruled in my favor. I can tell you that once my score jumped from 12% to 82%! You are correct in this case; your sentence is perfectly grammatically correct. You can respectfully ask the editor to adjust your score, explaining why.
Alissa Nesson
Currently Reading:

Post by Alissa Nesson »

Currently dealing with some comma “mistakes” that I know are subjective. The editor gave me back some points but is still sure they’re right about the other one. According to AI and all my grammar checkers the sentence is correct both with and without the comma, so I’ve asked for an admin recheck for the first time. I hope it goes well. Does anyone know if the two lifetime limit for admin rechecks is only if they think you’re wrong and they side with the editor?
- Once On This Island
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: The Red Movement by Shadan Kapri

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

Alissa Nesson wrote: 11 Apr 2024, 11:27 Currently dealing with some comma “mistakes” that I know are subjective. The editor gave me back some points but is still sure they’re right about the other one. According to AI and all my grammar checkers the sentence is correct both with and without the comma, so I’ve asked for an admin recheck for the first time. I hope it goes well. Does anyone know if the two lifetime limit for admin rechecks is only if they think you’re wrong and they side with the editor?
Yes, they'll only take one of the rechecks if you're mistaken, but won't if you're correct. There are a total of 3 lifetime administrative rechecks available.
Alissa Nesson
Currently Reading:

Post by Alissa Nesson »

Last time I looked it said 2. I’ve seen three for editors.
- Once On This Island

Return to “International Grammar”