'grating' is not 'gratifying'

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Clare Storey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

'grating' is not 'gratifying'

Post by Clare Storey »

Hi

My first review has been 'corrected' by the editor re my use of 'grating'. They have corrected this to 'gratifying'.

In essence, these are opposites.
Oxford dictionary reference:
Grating; negative adjective
'sounding harsh, unpleasant, or irritating'
Gratifying; positive adjective
'giving pleasure or satisfaction'

Please could someone advise of how we deal with these issues? As a newbie I'm at a loss.

All i know for certain, is that I cannot 'correct' my review with the opposite sentiment to that which I'm trying to express.

Thanks in advance!

Clare
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Eternal Hero by William Grace
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Hello and welcome,

It will not be changed in your review when it is published. This is just something that they have marked as a "mistake" - wrongly, in this case. Not good - sorry that happened!

Please ask for your scorecard to be rechecked by using the button.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Alissa Nesson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: Silent Voices by Marilyn Thompson

Post by Alissa Nesson »

That’s weird. Definitely ask for a recheck.
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island
Frelan Hardware
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Frelan Hardware »

Hi Clare,

I completely understand your frustration. It's important for reviews to accurately reflect the reviewer's intended meaning, especially when it comes to nuances like the difference between "grating" and "gratifying." Your concern is valid, and it's unfortunate that this was marked as a mistake.

As Alice mentioned, it won't be changed in your review when it's published, which is a relief. If you haven't already, I'd recommend reaching out to the editor directly to express your concerns and perhaps seek clarification on their reasoning. Hopefully, they'll be receptive to feedback and open to discussing any discrepancies.

Thanks for bringing this up, Clare. Your attention to detail is commendable, and it's important for the integrity of the reviewing process.

Return to “International Grammar”