No comma before the vocative

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Ludovica Peruzzi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Blockhead
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ludovica-peruzzi.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

No comma before the vocative

Post by Ludovica Peruzzi »

Hello, everyone. I'm writing up a review for the book I've just finished reading and I'm confused as to whether I should mark some mistakes I've found as typos or write them off as a matter of personal style.

Throughout the book, the author never uses commas before, and sometimes even after, vocatives. Some examples are "You must be mistaken sir", "Drop that chair leg my lad", "Come on Berman" and so on. There are also no commas in internal dialogue: "He must be careful he thought" instead of "He must be careful, he thought". Now, my questions are:

1. Should I count all of these as objective typos, or do I just think of them as part of the author's style, since this is how he writes all throughout?
2. Even if you ascribe them to personal style, should I at least mark them down as typos in the cases where not using a comma actually changes the meaning of the sentence (for example "Let him be lads" instead of "Let him be, lads", "I am mistress" instead of "I am, mistress")?

Thanks in advance!
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 346
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Island in the Sun - Growing up in Jamaica 1948-1954 by Monica Carly
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

As long as you can support those errors with a credible source, I would report them as objective errors. Sometimes the issue is a matter of following British grammar rules, but I don't think that is the case here.
Alissa Nesson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: Silent Voices by Marilyn Thompson

Post by Alissa Nesson »

I would say those are objective errors, especially because writing them without the comma can sometimes change the meaning.
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island
Ludovica Peruzzi
Currently Reading: Blockhead
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ludovica-peruzzi.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Ludovica Peruzzi »

Thank you both! That's what I thought, but I've marked them as uncounted errors to be safe.

Return to “International Grammar”