What tense should be used in writing a story or review?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Kaushik Roy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What tense should be used in writing a story or review?

Post by Kaushik Roy »

I think the present simple is the most commonly used tense in academic writing, so if in doubt, this should be your default choice of tense. There are two main situations where you always need to use the present tense.
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

I am also always perplexed too. I am inconsistent throughout my review. Now I wonder if it affects the readability of the review.
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Review Writer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideonwrites-review.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Review Writer »

In my experience so far, Consistency is the key. Thanks for raising this.
Signature of Grace.
Abdullahi A 2
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Abdullahi A 2 »

It is more of past tense with few present tense.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

Rosemary Wright wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 08:18 Sometimes, some writers get confused about what tense to use in narrating a new story. They ponder if they should use the present tense or past tense in terms of verbs and the action of the story.

It's proper to use either past tense or present tense in writing a story. I use either of them in narrating a story but I prefer using the present tense in the summary part of my reviews. I make sure I stay consistent with a particular tense because it's atrocious to use both present tense and past tense at the same time.

What do you have to tell us about this topic?
I think being consistent is more important than whatever tense rule there is. I personally write mine the way you do; I try as much as possible to stick to present tense when summarizing the book, but I switch to past tense in the analysis section of my review. I feel it makes more sense because I'm explaining what I "felt" about the book.

There are times, though, when summarizing a story will only make sense in a particular tense. In such cases, you should "acquiesce" to the tense that makes the most sense for the story.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Juris Ex Machina by John W. Maly
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

Past tense is sometimes considered passive writing style. I think that if you write your review, if you use past tense to start off, you shoulf only use past tense through it's entirety.

Present tense is considered active writing style. It is sometimes harder to use when writing a review because it is something occuring now and the phrase "to be, has been" both fall under passive writing. I found story writing is easier using this style.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Charlize Venter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlize-venter.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Charlize Venter »

I was taught usually past-tense, and whichever tense you use stick to it as far as you can.
With a review you are recounting your experience(past-tense) or giving your analysis(either prest or past, stick to one or the other).
Consider what you are writing and adapt accordingly
Samuel Mamo
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-mamo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Samuel Mamo »

It depends. We can use every tense. We can use them accordinglly. When we narrate we may include the reported speech, in which case for example, can use any kind of tense.

Return to “International Grammar”