Does anyone know of a really good grammar and spell checker that I can use

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Re: Does anyone know of a really good grammar and spell checker that I can use

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

The free version of Grammarly is pretty good, but there are a lot of things that it doesn't detect, still, it detects pronouns used incorrectly, the lack of punctuation, and spelling mistakes, for example.
There is also Ginger, which is similar to Grammarly but it has a good translator for a lot of languages.
Manasakd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Manasakd »

ReaderTeacher wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 21:44 I also recommend Grammarly. It catches the major errors. I paid to get the more advanced version which is helpful for things like word choice, but sometimes it will tell you things are wrong that are stylistic choices and fine in the context. All-in-all Grammarly is great, but a human check is always good and don’t feel obligated to change everything Grammarly recommends.
I wanted to emphasize this post. Grammarly is a decent source, but not all inclusive. Unfortunately, many of the reviewers here use Grammarly to tally mistakes (which are not mistakes). An experienced human editor is your best, and I feel the only option, if you plan to have your book published on multiple platforms.
UzmaKhan
Currently Reading: The Woman Before Wallis
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzmakhan.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by UzmaKhan »

Thank you very much for all these guidance. Appreciate a lot.🌸
Becccccca+98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becccccca-98.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Becccccca+98 »

I used to only use Grammarly, and my overall reviewer score was constant in at a 55% Then I started using Grammarly and Scribens and my score greatly improved. I definitely recommend using both. :)
Zoe Luh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoe-luh.html
Latest Review: Moon Magic by Charli Elizabeth

Post by Zoe Luh »

them1n1ch1ef15 wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 08:30 I have been using Grammarly but I'm still getting penalised for incorrect grammar despite Grammarly being happy with the text. It's hard to know what to do really not least because some of it is subjective! If anyone can suggest a better checking app I would be really grateful.
Me too! I do tend to have wordy sentences. I am penalized for the grammar, but Grammarly is happy with them so I'm not really sure how to improve that issue.
kljrox
Favorite Book: The Pentagon Years
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kljrox.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by kljrox »

I use Grammerly, Scribens, Prowritingaid, and I read it aloud several times before submitting. I still get marked off for grammer. I even studied the Grammer and punctuation tutorials. It is very depressing and I hope I can find something that will really help me.
"I promised myself that I would take the time to notice simple beauty every day."
Richard L. Haight
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I recommend you use both Grammarly and Scribens together. They are both great and highly complementioned each other
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:

Post by Elvis Best »

kljrox wrote: 13 Jun 2020, 15:18 I use Grammerly, Scribens, Prowritingaid, and I read it aloud several times before submitting. I still get marked off for grammer. I even studied the Grammer and punctuation tutorials. It is very depressing and I hope I can find something that will really help me.
Hey I suggest you learn the basics of grammar into detail yourself, as knowing the rules can help you better than relying on online proofreading software. Also, you can use naturalreader.com/online to read out your text aloud and catch some errors that you would otherwise miss.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:

Post by Elvis Best »

Becccccca+98 wrote: 29 May 2020, 13:14 I used to only use Grammarly, and my overall reviewer score was constant in at a 55% Then I started using Grammarly and Scribens and my score greatly improved. I definitely recommend using both. :)
Excellent advice here!
kljrox
Favorite Book: The Pentagon Years
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kljrox.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by kljrox »

Ekabajong wrote: 14 Jun 2020, 17:54
kljrox wrote: 13 Jun 2020, 15:18 I use Grammerly, Scribens, Prowritingaid, and I read it aloud several times before submitting. I still get marked off for grammer. I even studied the Grammer and punctuation tutorials. It is very depressing and I hope I can find something that will really help me.
Hey I suggest you learn the basics of grammar into detail yourself, as knowing the rules can help you better than relying on online proofreading software. Also, you can use naturalreader.com/online to read out your text aloud and catch some errors that you would otherwise miss.
Thanks for the suggestions. I have been studying a few different sites for grammer and punctuation. I think I will get better as time goes by.
"I promised myself that I would take the time to notice simple beauty every day."
Richard L. Haight
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:

Post by Elvis Best »

kljrox wrote: 14 Jun 2020, 18:29
Ekabajong wrote: 14 Jun 2020, 17:54
Thanks for the suggestions. I have been studying a few different sites for grammer and punctuation. I think I will get better as time goes by.
I believe you will better as you learn and practice more. Good luck!
FuriousDestroyer75
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by FuriousDestroyer75 »

Grammarly is great! It also helps make your story even better by suggesting better words and better ways to put your sentence together.
Aftab Yunis
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The fourth Dimension
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aftab-yunis-hakim.html
Latest Review: One Hand Two Hearts by S.K. Alfstad

Post by Aftab Yunis »

Like "Grammarly" there is another software "Ginger grammar" is also good program to detect spelling mistakes and fix grammatical mistakes.
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

Grammarly keyboard works better. It has a free version which works well.
Books are beautiful.
Anngladys
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anngladys.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Post by Anngladys »

Start with the inbuilt spell checker.
Then Grammarly.
Then ProWritingAid.

Grammarly and ProWritingAid are available as Google Chrome extensions.

Return to “International Grammar”