Grammarly: How Does It Work?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Elsereen
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elsereen.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Re: Grammarly: How Does It Work?

Post by Elsereen »

Elsereen wrote: 08 Feb 2019, 02:11 Grammarly is a spell check extension that you add to your browser, which will automatically check spellings, punctuation, sentences and lots of more while you are typing..
:arrow: NOTE: you have to allow extension for your browser before it works and of course a working Internet connection.
Hope you find it helpful. :no-spoil:
Elsereen
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elsereen.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Elsereen »

I love using most at times when am typing online..
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I have downloaded the free app as well as the add-ins for Microsoft Office and Firefox browser. However, it seems they won't work offline and a copy of your document is stored in the cloud, by default.
Dawud Adaviruku
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawud-adaviruku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dawud Adaviruku »

Miriam Molina wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 19:14 I find my free Grammarly useful when I misspell words, miss capitalizations, and misname famous people or places. Like any other computer app, however, it won't catch all errors and may even suggest improper corrections. A user should still learn the grammar rules and take the Grammarly suggestions with a grain of salt. (For instance, since Grammarly uses US English, it will flag British spellings as errors.)
Yes, this is so true. It's baffles me to know that such a great app would even suggests improper corrections at times.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

daviddawud wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 18:05
Miriam Molina wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 19:14 I find my free Grammarly useful when I misspell words, miss capitalizations, and misname famous people or places. Like any other computer app, however, it won't catch all errors and may even suggest improper corrections. A user should still learn the grammar rules and take the Grammarly suggestions with a grain of salt. (For instance, since Grammarly uses US English, it will flag British spellings as errors.)
Yes, this is so true. It's baffles me to know that such a great app would even suggests improper corrections at times.
Nothing yet beats the human brain. Thank God!
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I use grammarly add-in as well as other sites to check punctuation. They do not show the errors mentioned by the editor. I read my reviews at least thirty times before submitting and yet there is a problem with commas. I almost feel like giving up on reviews. Wish there would be a thread with examples of reviews that have no errors.
Desitt
Currently Reading: Miguel Street
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desitt.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Desitt »

I have MS Word 2007 and it has grammar and spell check features built in. So for those of you who have MS Word, you may not need Grammarly.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Desitt wrote: 19 Mar 2019, 23:47 I have MS Word 2007 and it has grammar and spell check features built in. So for those of you who have MS Word, you may not need Grammarly.
MS Word is good but not perfect. None of the programs really do it all. That's why many people suggest using two proofing programs, in addition to reading the review aloud and carefully going through it line-by-line.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Desitt
Currently Reading: Miguel Street
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desitt.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Desitt »

Great advice @CatInTheHat !
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

I use Grammerly online. As with any spellchecker or grammar program, it's a tool. It can't do the writing for you, but it can alert you to issues to think about. The program is not always correct either. Especially for fiction writing, where certain stylistic choices may not exactly follow all the rules.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I love Grammarly. It not only corrects spelling, commas and gives you new, less redundant words, it also has a plagiarism check that you can use if you are a content writer and your client sends you copy they got from other websites. It is well worth the price. I have learned a lot about the English language using it.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

Desitt wrote: 19 Mar 2019, 23:47 I have MS Word 2007 and it has grammar and spell check features built in. So for those of you who have MS Word, you may not need Grammarly.
I used to do that and I consistently got points taken off because Word is iffy on the comma corrections. So I switched to Grammarly and my scores are much better.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

CinWin wrote: 19 May 2019, 15:27
I used to do that and I consistently got points taken off because Word is iffy on the comma corrections. So I switched to Grammarly and my scores are much better.
I use both Word 365 and Grammarly. Even then, you really do still need to know what to look for, as there isn't a perfect tool out there.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Juris Ex Machina by John W. Maly
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

Grammarchecker.net uses Grammarly to check the grammar. You can copy paste what you want to check in the box and it is free. Note that it does NOT catch everything.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Where's Baby, Momma? by Antoinette McDonald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

RE: improper suggestions on Grammarly
I ignored the advice of Grammarly in a review and had points deducted. I wrote "... .is narrated in third person." Grammarly said it should be "... .is narrated in the third person."
I ran it through Scribens and Writers Work, and it was not flagged, so I left the article out. I cannot find a rule regarding article usage for this phrase.
Any suggestions?

Return to “International Grammar”